Idaho Backcountry 2011 Trip Report

By C5Engineer in Avid fox flyers pics and vids,
I just got home yesterday from another epic trip to the Idaho Backcountry. This year we left on Tuesday morning at daylight from Jackson, CA. After 7 hours we arrived at Johnson Creek. Wednesday morning we departed early for Sulphur Creek to have an awesome breakfast at the lodge. From there we cruised down the Middle Fork of the Salmon and hit Thomas Creek, Soldier Bar, and Mile Hi. Thursday morning we flew to McCall for fuel and then over to Dixie for breakfast at their lodge. From there we jammed down the canyon to Wilson Bar. From there we went to Warren but there was some weird winds so we opted not to land it. The air became super rough that day and we had a pretty unpleasant trip back over to Johnson Creek. Friday morning we all flew back over to the Salmon for breakfast at Flying B ranch. That place was absolutely beautiful. After Flying B we went back to Mile Hi to help out a fellow Aviator who had some issues with his plane up there. Watching fellow aviators come together to help out someone in trouble is just one of the reasons I love this community so much. Saturday morning we got up early and went out for fuel again. After that we hit Cabin Creek, Vines, and Dewey (Gooey) Moore. Dewey had a spring running right down the middle of it. My plane was covered in mud after that one. You know you have a good trip when you get home and you have tons of junk hanging off your tailwheel and your wings and horizontal stab are covered in mud. Saturday afternoon I hooked up with parents and cousin Matt. They drove down to see me and Matt did an awesome presentation about the challenges he has faced since being involved in an Avalanche two years ago while snowmobiling. It was really cool to have sound and HD video around a campfire in the Backcountry. Thanks Matt for your time! You are a true inspiration to everyone around you. Sunday morning we left early and headed for home. We fueled in Council Idaho and then headed for Denio Junction, NV. The flight to Denio was nice. I cruised at 10ft AGL across the desert for 80 miles. It made it go a little quicker and I saw some antelope and wild horses. After leaving Denio we got into some really nasty air. At times I was full throttle and descending at 6-700fpm. After 1000ft of altitude loss you would then get into a 1500fpm updraft. At one point I was at idle and pushing the nose over so far all I could see was ground and I was still climbing at 1500 fpm. The ups and downs were almost perfectly timed. I suspect it was some form of Mountain Wave. I finally just pulled back one time to 45mph and next thing I knew I was at 11,500. It finally smoothed out so we just stayed up there clear to the Sierras. I've never been that high in the Avid before. I was near gross weight and cruising at 75mph over the ground at 11,500 with a 65hp Rotax. This little airplane never ceases to amaze me!! After 8.2 on the Hobbs I landed at Nut Tree. Overall on the trip page of my GPS we flew 1900 miles and I logged 27.2 hours on the Hobbs. Enjoy the pictures!! Alvord Desert and the Steens Camp Pops Sulpher Creek Lodge Someone departing Sulpher Thomas Creek Soldier Bar the first time Pops cub attracts all types young and old Lodge in Dixie town Wilson Bar with Daves killer dog on the Runway. Don't mess with that thing! Rob looking like he just did something bad Flying B Mile Hi from a little bit higher This shot has been posted a lot but here's one more 4 of the 6 were that day were experimentals...Two Rans S-7's, a Highlander, and my Avid Went for a hike on Friday to get some shots like Matt posted last year. I went to the rock outcroppings up on the West side of the strip. That hill is steep!! The Kitfox crew at Cabin Creek Our guest speaker Matt preparing for his first ever flight in a small plane Matt giving his talk. A big special thanks to everyone who donated! Matt and I are almost the same age and grew up together. This was the first time I had heard him talk about a lot of that stuff and it was pretty tough to keep a dry eye. His story was very amazing and powerful. Headed home at 11,700 at a screaming 74mph ground speed.
  • 7 replies