Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Diffference between Mk IV and Avid Lite?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

My plane looks like a Mk IV, but the registration papers are  for an "Avid Lite". The plane weighs 483lb empty with a Grey Head 582, a ballistic chute and 2 fuel tanks installed. S/N is 12740.

What exact model is it?

Posted

pictures would help. looks like a mark 4 in your member picture

Posted

To the best of my knowledge, there never was an Avid lite.  Also, Avids serial numbers were in order, for instance, 805, 806, 807 which would have been C models.  When the MK IV came along, they added a D to the end, so a MK IV may have a serial # like 1234D.  I think the MK IV made it up to 1600 or 1700 serial number before they stopped being made.   But in the USA, when one registers a homebuilt plane, you can call it what you want, and make up a serial number.  Some traits of a MK IV is the door latch changed to being about 1/3 back on the bottom of the door, earlier ones were in lower front corner.  Baggage compartment, front of vertical stabilizer centered on the top of the fuselage, extra tubing just above and behind the seat to hold a shock absorber to hold doors open, additional gussets at rear carry through.  Your plane is extremely light for a MK IV.....  JImChuk  

Posted

The plane was assembled and first registered in Germany. The vertical fin shape is definetely Mk IV.

I suppose S/N 12740 should in fact read 1274D.

1 person likes this

Posted

I suppose S/N 12740 should in fact read 1274D.

Maybe....  If you can show a picture of your door latch, the tubing just behind the seat where there should be a shock absorber for holding the door open, also a picture of the rear spar carry through.  Here are some of my Avid MK IV.  JImChuk

Photo0891.jpg

Photo0892.jpg

Photo0893.jpg

Posted

Jeromef,

That serial number makes sense (1274D) My Mark IV has  serial number of 1174D, and was made about 1994.

Posted

Interesting, mine is 1176D.  On the FAA page, it's listed as being manufactured in 1992.  I believe that date is when it was registered with the FAA, not when the kit was built by Avid.  JImChuk

Posted

Mine was registered in Germany in 1995, that seems coherent.

Posted

Did you compare my pictures with your plane?  JImChuk

Posted

I'll look at  that next weekend, I am at work for now.

Posted

Did you compare my pictures with your plane?  JImChuk

It seems Avids  come in different flavors:

We have 3 Avids in the same hangar (see picture):

At left a "C model", reengined with a Rotax 912: no shock absorber

At center a Mk IV, waiting to be reengined with a 912 (it had previously a Jabiru): shock absorber mounted direcly on the door frame.

At right mine, supposed to be an "Avid Lite": the shock absorbers are mounted in the same way as yours.

3avid.jpg

avidC.jpg

mkiv.jpg

avidLite.jpg

Posted

There was an Avid Bandit that was something of a lighter weight MK IV.  Maybe that is what you have and someone nicknamed it a lite.  Kitfox made a Kitfox lite that was a single seater, also they made a light weight version of the Kitfox 4 call a Lite Squared   (2 seat)  JImChuk