Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Which is the Widest cockpit and useful load

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Wanted to know which fuselage or plane had the widest cockpit, also which has the biggest useful load. Thank you for any help

Posted

bushcat is 49.5

I also sat in a Murphy Rebel at Oshkosh and it was wide too I liked it

Posted

My Kitfox 4 is 43 1/2" wide.  That is 4" over stock.  I think the Merle Williams widening kit adds 5" on a Kitfox 4.  My useful load is about 550.  JImChuk

Posted

Thank you but I meant a kit fox or Avid flyer, and can you add to the useful load. Thank you all

Posted

First Avid and Kitfox were 36" wide.  Kitfox 2, 3, and 4 and Avid B, C, and MK IV are all 39 1/2" wide.  Useful load is hard to figure, cause depending on how it's built, and Kitfox 4 might weigh anywhere from maybe 550 and 800 pluss lbs.  My Kitfox 4 was 826 when I got it, and after complete rebuild, it weighed 645.  I have no first hand experience with newer model Kitfoxes, so will leave that to someone else.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

Im not 100% sure how wide my KF5 is without going and measuring it but i think its like 42” wide?? But i do know it weighs 880lbs, 1550 gross, has 52 gallons on board, has the lycoming 0235/115hp. Burns 5 gallons an hr, and its for sale, Hahahahaaaa

Posted

Im not 100% sure how wide my KF5 is without going and measuring it but i think its like 42” wide?? But i do know it weighs 880lbs, 1550 gross, has 52 gallons on board, has the lycoming 0235/115hp. Burns 5 gallons an hr, and its for sale, Hahahahaaaa

So if i built a bigger wing the useful load would go up ?

Posted

NO, NO, NO. 

The useful load is the maximum gross weight - empty weight. The maximum gross weight is dictated by many things that all interact together. For more gross weight you might need more wing area, or more horsepower or both, but then you also have to address the structure to carry the additional weight. If you don't know what you are doing, then you could actually make a heavier airplane that has even less useful load. Or worse yet, you could go fly and find out the hard way that the structure isn't up to the task. Unless you have engineering knowledge on how to do this, then you are best off finding an existing design that already fits your needs and has the useful load required rather than trying to redesign one.

2 people like this

Posted

its for sale? you just got it haha

1 person likes this

Posted

I can't tell you the inches, but the Avid Plus (or fat avid) has more baggage area and a wider cockpit than any other Avid or Kitfox to my knowledge, with the exception of the Avid Magnum. The Avid Plus is even wider (but not taller inside) than the Magnum. The Magnum also has a larger baggage area and a much greater useful load of 700-750 depending on the build. Useful load in my Avid Plus is 550 lb. (1250GR-700E). I assume you are not considering the Magnum in your question though because its really a significantly different airplane than the smaller Avids and Kitfoxes.

The Avid Plus control mixer is located under the seat and uses cables to control the ailerons. The leaves the entire area in back of the seats open for cargo. That aspect is wonderful, although I have mixed feelings about the use of push-pull cables for control of the ailerons.

All in all I like the Avid plus if you can find one.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

its for sale? you just got it haha

yea the KF5 is for sale and i think the KF1 may go also but going wait on the one for a bit. Ive got this now to burn up gas in.

YAHOO BUDDY GOT THE PA12 DONE!!!!!

74C349F4-2074-4AF9-9553-E2E2AEDD5B70.jpeg

8702AC89-8BBF-49B9-9B9F-1CCCFC0EB2CD.jpeg

Edited by Buckchop
2 people like this

Posted

NO, NO, NO. 

The useful load is the maximum gross weight - empty weight. The maximum gross weight is dictated by many things that all interact together. For more gross weight you might need more wing area, or more horsepower or both, but then you also have to address the structure to carry the additional weight. If you don't know what you are doing, then you could actually make a heavier airplane that has even less useful load. Or worse yet, you could go fly and find out the hard way that the structure isn't up to the task. Unless you have engineering knowledge on how to do this, then you are best off finding an existing design that already fits your needs and has the useful load required rather than trying to redesign one.

Thats what i was asking if it had a bigger wing would the useful load increase.

Posted

How much are you asking for it, Thank you

Posted (edited)

Not too sure yet, probably let it go for around $25-$30 grand OBO,she flys but needs little fabric work from sittin, prop is bad, last owner didnt fly it anymore cause of the cream is comin off the inside of fuel tanks. 

Edited by Buckchop