Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Skyraider

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Just learned that a guy named Al Large owns Skyraider. He said he does have a few parts for sale. Would like to see all of the old classics revived. Somewhere in the northwest US.

1 person likes this

Posted

I bought a cowl & lexan turtledeck from Al, he was super easy to work with. If anyone else is looking for info on the Sky Raider & Ridge Runner family of aircraft, the most active group is on Facebook. 

I have a feeling that as STOL drag & similar competitions take off, we'll see more of these birds come out of storage.

Posted

After studying the fuselage for a while, It's pretty darn close to a single seat Avid Flyer. Mine has more room, head and leg, than my Kitfox did. I know there was one or two that were going to make their Avid/Fox a single seater. Since they were all grown from the same seed, it stands to reason that they would be close.

Posted

Did finally get the painting done after covering. Now start planning on locating an engine.

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

Very nice Allen what are you using for an engine?

Posted

Don't have a hillbilly clue just yet. Would like to use a Hirth F-23 if weight will allow it. Still going to try Pt 103. Did register it as a Mountain Cat and was issued a N number and registration card. So the adventure begins!

Posted

I have a friend with a Ridge Runner and currently a Sky Raider project in process.

He's seriously considering the Yamaha Phazer engine.  These look like a real good alternative to the unsupported and/or unreliable two-strokes.  Similar weight and more power.

Posted

The Polini 303 engine that I tried to use was just too light for the CG. Just bought a rebuilt 503 to install. May be old tech, but still reliable as can be.