Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Proud New Mark4 Owner

4 posts in this topic

Posted

My new Avid Mark4 is in the Hanger! My story with the Avid and Dean Wilson goes back to 1964. Dean was a Crop Duster back then in Homedale Idaho. My Father taught grade school in Homedale. He worked for Dean in the summers for extra money. Dean gave me my first airplane ride in a J3 Cub. It sparked a lifetime of love for airplanes. When I heard of the Dean Wilson designed Avid Flyer, I knew someday I would own one. My Avid has not flown in 22 years. The engine is shipping to Rotax Rick for a 670 upgrade. I ordered the taller and wider gear from Randy Moore. The Avid gets a Matco 8 inch wide tailwheel also. I will need to improve the brakes some for the 8.50X10X6 Tundra tires. Still researching the best way to do that. I will post some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to attach pics. I tried to attach, but the pictures are 8.1 mb. Maybe to large of a file?

1 person likes this

Posted

Brakes is a fun topic. I made mine right by changing the pivot point to get the required 2.5:1 ratio between the pedal and the cylinder. The below phoos show it all. The first is the Matco explanation of what the 2.5 ratio is

The second is my old, original weak brake system, with the wrong ratio. Note the fat cylinder (with the self-enclosed reservoir) will not allow the right ratio.

The third is the new skinny cylinders with external reservoir that allow closer pivot point, so the 2.5 ratio is met. They work just fine.

matco-4.jpg.7db728dd4b65b91190f56e7a8e830631.jpg

IMG_0154.thumb.JPG.437c0f20e131906812a5eb3205fa8b6b.jpg

new_pivot.thumb.jpg.2336fe7c8878cdc05d46c90e01ab1766.jpg

Posted

Thanks nlappos, Thats the path I am taking. I have the Matco Masters ordered.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks nlappos, Thats the path I am taking. I have the Matco Masters ordered.

I also found bleeding was easier with the external reservoir. I use the tube in the bottle technique to bleed. With the new brakes I can hold at nearly full throttle with my 670cc 91 hp engine.

Good luck with your new airplane! 

Edited by nlappos