Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Scrappy specs

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I loosely followed Mike Patey’s “Scrappy” build. He had some great concepts. Has anyone seen performance specs on it? I saw that it weighs a ton, 2,500 pounds, or so, and that it had 600 horsepower before he adds twin turbos, but does anyone have details on the real world performance, like takeoff and landing distance, or VS0 or VNO?

I’d love to take it for a spin. It is rated for spins, right? Jokes aside, I’d be really interested to see and feel how it actually handles on the ground and in the air. I wonder if he saves any of his good ideas for another plane, or just crams them all into the one he’s working on at the time. Might as well try it all, then sort out which ideas work best in another application, later on. 

I’d like to see some of those features, like the leading edge slats and suspension, incorporated into a lighter, simpler design. I’d guess we’ll see some of that in his new Draco project. 

It has a heavier empty weight than a Helio Courier, and I’d assume the gross weight is higher, too. More horsepower. I wonder how Scrappy compares to other planes of similar weight or horsepower or dimensions. It’s kind of in a category of its own. Any word on performance specs?

Edited by Good old number 29

Posted

Guessing not the best otherwise we would see way more of it. Its a really Cool plane I looked it over at Oshkosh and the guy is talented  but 600hp is probably 25 gallons an hr to  see 125mph No thanks.