Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox model 1

23 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some guidance on building a kitfox model 1. At this moment I'm just getting everything together, while I'm trying to finishing up my private pilot certificate. The tube fuselage is painted, getting ready to paint the rest of the metal parts. I'll also be adding pictures during my build so everyone can get a good laugh, at my stupid questions. The first one question.

1) Does anyone has the engine build section on the kfm 112 engine. Can't seem to find that in my manual.

2) does any one have a template for wind screen template.

3) tailwheel spring bracket, is that also 4130 steel Included pictures. I cant find anything in the book about a bracket to keep the spring rotating on the single bolt.

I purchased the kitfox about a year and half ago 

Thank you 

20220920_110210.jpg

20220920_110207.jpg

Posted

Tailwheel spring has a 3/16" bolt on each side going through that tab with the holes in it.  A piece of strap is under the spring and the bolts go through it.    The windshield is sort of cut to fit.  If I could find the windshield I had in the Kitfox 1, I could trace out a pattern.  Been a few yrs though and it's probably gone now.  Might want to consider a better supported engine I would say.  There is a Kitfox 1 build manual in the files and forms section of this forum.  Feel free to ask questions.  JImChuk

Posted

Thank you for your response. Yes I did find the bolts for that, just can't find the strap. I may need to get the metal and cut and drill it. Just don't know to use the 4130 and a good thickness. 

Posted

.040" thick x 3/4" wide should be fine I would think.  

Posted

I Like my model 1 they are fun.

Posted

I can't wait to fly it. We've talked some TJay, about painting the fuselage.

Posted

I have a old model one windsheild still in the shed, i could get u a patteren on paper and mail it to u, but wouldnt b able to do that till late Oct, or b4 this Saturday, im headed out to Wasilla to finish my pa12.  I have lots of model one parts. 

Posted

Alright thank you Buckchop, that would be great. 1avidflyer is looking also. I forgot to add this to my post but if you know anyone how has counter balance for the flaperons, that would be great too. I've been looking but no luck

Posted

I think TJay has a post or video of where he made some for his new Kitfox wings.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Found his video, thank you Jim. 

Posted

Alright starting to put things back to geather on the model 1, and started to gathering parts for the firewall. Trying to figure out why would the 1st builder would cut out the bottem center firewall, any thoughts?

12300.jpeg

12299.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe to give more clearence for the carb?  Pretty tight on the Jabiru, and I think there are similarities between the two engines.  JImChuk

Posted

Okay so probably box it in on the aft side like they did the top. I'll get a picture of the top to show what I'm talking about. Now when it comes time to mount it to the fuselage, do I drill in the fuselage for the firewall? The manual I have don't have the firewall and engine assembly, so I'm in the dark on this part. I did download the manual for the kf1 for a guide on the firewall.  

Thank you

Posted

Not quite understanding your last post, here is the firewall I made for my Avid MK IV with Jabiru when I rebuilt the plane.  Notice how the stainless steel firewall recesses into the tubing at the bottom center.  JImChuk

Photo0821.jpg

Posted

Not quite understanding your last post, here is the firewall I made for my Avid MK IV with Jabiru when I rebuilt the plane.  Notice how the stainless steel firewall recesses into the tubing at the bottom center.  JImChuk

Photo0821.jpg

sorry I'll try explain better, 

I think they where gonna do the bottom part like the top, and box it in.

When I assembl the firewall, and getting ready to mount it to the fuselage does it rivet into the fuselage?

Sorry for the stupid questions 

Posted

was having trouble adding picture

12304.jpeg

Posted

The motor mount bolts will keep the firewall in place.  I tie the bottom of mine to the floorboards, but I make the firewall about 1 1/2" to tall, and bend the bottom 1 1/2" back so it parallels the floorboards. 

Posted

Oh good, mine is like that at the bottom also. Just had the bottom clamped to help holed it in place. My kids keep messing with it. Right now the firewall is aluminum just getting an ideal how it goes before I make a set out of stainless steel.

Posted

Hope everyone is doing good. I was able get back at the airplane the otherday, before I went back to work. Getting ready to add engine, so I can start some wiring. Just a question before hanging it, is there an special way the rubber bushings go? 

10617.jpeg

Posted

hi everyone, I'm gonna wait on the engine and get the other parts that I have the build manual for. I'm in the process of installing the brake calibers, and I'm confused on it. Does the calibers bolts to the landing gear or is it free floating? Here are some pics for you all.

11858.jpeg

11857.jpeg

Posted

Sorry brake calipers 

Posted

Your calipers look right as far as I can see.  They have to be able to move in and out on the pins to stay centered on the brake rotor.