Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Salt water operations in sea-drowned valleys

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys.

We will be using the Avid Amphibian primarily in a extensive network of sheltered sea-drowned valleys at the northern end of the South Island of New Zealand known as The Marlborough Sounds. Is anyone else operating in salt water thank you :)

Marlborough_Sounds_topographic_map-en.svg.png

Posted

The sounds are a great place to fly. I have landed at Grevill  Harbour a few times .

Calm weather only, Got severely spanked a few years ago in a southerly.

An avid amphibian would be so much fun. 3 friends are  building restoring amphibs so we may catch up sometime.

Posted

The sounds are a great place to fly. I have landed at Grevill  Harbour a few times .

Calm weather only, Got severely spanked a few years ago in a southerly.

An avid amphibian would be so much fun. 3 friends are  building restoring amphibs so we may catch up sometime.

Great to hear from you Dusty!

Yes Greville Harbour is a well protected beautiful anchorage.

We have all been spanked before as conditions worsen, I have a great ceremonial pig story about that, but hey we're all much wiser now right?

Would love very much to catch up! I'm here in Blenheim, working here and in Picton. Where are you guys?

The Sounds are calling my friend... 

Posted

Based in Rangiora,   I'm not hard to find  Just ask for the owner of kitfox JFA ! There is a YouTube video of one of our trips to D'Urville 

D'Urville island landing https://YouTube.be/GJeUOf9Mgz0

I'm currently flying borrowed KIV and very soon CGT,with the rebuild of JFA progressing slowly

Looking forward to catching up

Posted

I would not touch down on the ocean/salt water any time. I live on the pacific but ALWAYS land on lakes & rivers. It is impossible to keep out the salty water from the bottom of the hull and/or clean it off properly . Also all your wiring-avionics-electric connections will suffer, just look at boats operating in sea water. All of them without exception have corroded terminals and corrosion problems. The spar on the catalina is thin aluminum, the bracket holding the spar pin is steel...if not perfectly insulated you will get galvanic corrosion at the worst place among other problems....

Your Cat won't live long when operated on salty waters for sure.

As a side note, a friend who owns a Icon A5 thought it was safe to be on the salt water just had a HUGE repair for corrosion.....