Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 582 cooling questions

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone,

I have a new (old) 582 that may be having cooling issues.  During engine warm up/testing it will rise to 195 and drop to 175 and hang there for awhile before shooting back up to 195 and pausing and drop back to 175.  During a taxi test it shot up over 200 before dropping back down to 180ish.  The day was partly sunny and temps were around 70.  Is this normal to have the fluctuation?  During a 5500 RPM static hold test it did finally maintain 175 and hold for 4 minutes.  Is the fluctuation normal?  I don't see any thermostat in the manual to replace with a different temp range.

Edited by Climberdawg
added tags

Posted

I forgot to mention that we had to jet up to 170 from 165 to get our EGTs to to hold at 1150 or lower.  The 165s were taking us too close to 1200 EGT and beyond.

Posted

What kind of plane are you dealing with?  Avids do tend to have more cooling issues than Kitfoxes, and sometimes just lowering the Kitfox radiator an inch or so will do the trick with them.  I do wonder if your thermostat is sticking though.  I would take it out, put it in a pan of water and heat it on the stove.  Have a thermometer in the water to see what temperature the thermostat opens at.  One other thing, most planes don't cool on the ground near as well as when they are flying and have better airflow.  JImChuk

Posted

The climb and drop is the thermostat.  Mine would open and close several times doing those swings until all the water in the system is up to temp.

EGTs are directly related to the prop pitch as well so make sure you have a proper load on the prop and RPMS are not too high.

Posted

Chuck your thermostat in in a pot and heat / measure .observe what it does. Also there needs to be a small bypass hole in the flange to encourage flow past the bulb for smooth operation.