Looking for Avid Amphib/Catalina for sale

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Gidday Gidday,

Can anyone recommend an Avid Amphib or Catalina for sale thanks.

Posted

A friend sent me a link to a nice looking Amphib on Facebook Marketplace in Frankenmuth MI. It has a 912 and looks nice in the pictures. Title is 2015 Avid Catalina $24,800. Certainly worth a look!

Posted

Yessiree. That's it. It looks nice and I like the fact that is has a 912. Hopefully its been built as light weight as it can be.

Posted

Yes Chris. 

I understand that to a large degree the lighter weight of the 582 balances out its lower power, and vice versa for the 912...

Posted

I really don't know. My Cat has a 582 but I haven't flown it yet. My first Avid, a MKIV had a 582. My current Avid has a 912. To me there is no comparison. The 912 wins hands down for power, much less maintenance and a certain peace of mind that doesn't come with a 582. The effect the 912 has on W&B is real but easily managed. The thing I do not know is the effect of the 912 additional weight on the W&B where it is placed on the Catalina. 

Posted

I'm workinig on a kifox, so don't often look to see what's happening in the catalina world.  Mine has a hirth f30, 100hp on it.  Started out with a clutch, but the hirth clutches do NOT like sudden drops in power, (eg: about to take a buzzard strike!!). While several builders solved the tail-heavy CG by pouring lead in the nose, I put a pipe flange on the passenger-side floor, and install a 25 pound barbell weight when flying solo.  With 100 hp, I have no problems getting off the water at gross, and can easily hit vne in flight.   This one's mine..  http://youtu.be/v8N8fQ803iA     And, if possible, a clutch makes water operations much more manageable.

The hirth engines are not as well supported as the rotax, as far as technical information and parts go. I'm going with a 912 uls in the kitfox.

-Jack

Austin, TX

1 person likes this