Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airplane Questions

4 posts in this topic

Posted

What do you guys know about the tandem ridge runner I have a friend that has one of them and wants to sell it Its in the kit form . Are they still in business I know all the specs on the planes  but just wondering if they are any good?

Also has a protech pt2 all in pieces?

Posted

I took a pretty good look at them when I was hunting one. Well, still hunting one if its close to me. It would be a RR1, RR2, or RR3. The 1 is single place. The 2 has a jump seat if you can call it that with no controls. the 3 is a tandem with dual controls. Went out of business in 2017 or 2018. Built by Stace Shrader. All can use a 503 engine, folding wings like a Kitfox. He started on a RR4 but haven't heard of one. Kits started at around 11K and went up depending on model. Basically a tandem Kitfox. Performance was decent with a 503 if kept light when building. Ground handling was reported to be a little more touchy than a kitfox but manageable. At a decent price, I'd still be interested. A flyable one going for 15K for the RR2 and RR3. No parts available unless you make them. Kitfox style wings and uses Teleflex cables for controls.

1 person likes this

Posted

Parts would fall under those famous words "if you want something, you gotta build it". 

1 person likes this

Posted

The Ridge Runner is a very fun plane. A friend and I finished a build last year and flew it until it was sold. It was pull start 503 powered and had a jump seat with no controls. Ours weighed 400 empty but felt MUCH lighter than a typical Avid. It was a lot more like flying a true ultralight than flying an Avid even though in every respect it is a well made tube and fabric 3 axis airplane with flaps. It could land and take off in nothing. Here is a video of the end of the first flight and my first landing in the RR. I did not use flaps because it was a little breezy.

They are not still in business but is is a well thought out little plane. I miss it.

IMG_2638.mov

1 person likes this