Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

High coolant temperature on 582

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

We have here in France quite unusual temperature levels for June, yesterday I flew my MarkIV with an ambient temperature of 32°C.

As usual, I waited for taking off that the coolant temp reaches 50°C. I kept 6500RPM up to about 700ft, when I remembered that I had forgot to remove the keys on the car, and landed immediately. When I toke off again a few minutes later, the high temperature warning flashed on initial climb indicating a coolant temp above 90°C. I throttled down to 5500RPM, an the temperature took some time to cool down. Is it normal, or should I suspect a problem with the cooling circuit?

Edited by Jeromef

Posted

Can I presume that you have the two cheek radiators in the nose as your only cooling? If so, this behavior is normal, the 582 cooling is marginal on warm days, especially at takeoff and climb. 

Many folks have to step climb by lowering the nose and accelerating during climb when the temperature climbs to the red line, since speed helps the radiators heat absorbtion.

Adding a belly radiator for the hot season is the answer if your ambient OAT is at 35 C or so.

Posted

Also, if the cheek radiators are not sealed to the cowl, they will have a harder time keeping up.