Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid STOL, how slow can an avid land?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys,

ive been on a backcountry STOL/bushplane binge now that im working my way through my license again. I am strongly considering rebuilding/buying an avid to get out in the sticks once i have everything squared away. 

So, my question for those experienced is, how slow can an avid land assuming dead wind? Can an avid with the STOL wing/vg's keep in the same ballpark as a cub/s7/CH701 etc?

thanks for any info anyone can provide!

Mike

Posted

touchdown between 40 and 50

1 person likes this

Posted

My Avid MK IV stalls at 42 MPH at gross weight of 1150.  Suppose touchdown would be about 40 in a full stall landing.  Cub or 701 will be slower, but lots of late model (heavier) Kitfox off field flying with you  tube videos to prove it.  Huge part of the equasion is pilot skill 

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

This is a completely loaded question.  At lower weights with a good pilot, yes.  At gross plus its going to take longer to get off the ground.  Touch down speed is only a small part of the equation.  The larger part of the equation is how much room do you need to take off as most can land shorter than they can take off.

Spending time watching youtube vids can only set you up for failure if you try to go out and mimic what you see without good instruction and time in type.

I spent a lot of years and had a lot of fun with my Avid (I do miss it) playing in the back country on fishing an hunting trips.  It is a very capable plane in the right hands.

:BC:

Edited by akflyer
3 people like this

Posted

Not calm in this example, but they can do pretty well.:)

IMG_3518.MOV

IMG_3522.MOV

Posted

Nice job

Posted

Not calm in this example, but they can do pretty well.:)

IMG_3518.MOV

IMG_3522.MOV

Do them slats slow you down any or do they disappear at cruise speeds?

Posted

They do slow you down about 5 mph but I have found you can get most of that back by pinning them down to cruise then unpinning them if you want to fly slow.

1 person likes this