Potential elevator issue

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello all!

I bought a MK IV last year, and life got busy. I swapped out the engine, had an annual done, and am clearing all potential issues. During the annual, it was discovered that one of the screws is digging into the elevator tube. I measured the indentation with a micrometer at 1mm deep.

Screen_Shot_2022-02-25_at_12.53.40_PM.th

I think I'm going to flip the bolt around to prevent this, but I am concerned about the damage to the tube. Any suggestions?

With regards,
John

Edited by John Baleshiski

Posted

Hard to give a reply, at least for me.  Maybe you could take a few more pictures.  I'm not sure where the problem is.  JImChuk

Posted

If your worried bout it I would weld a small patch over it.

Posted (edited)

The rod sees pilot forces so it is not highly stressed. I would think you could just clean it off and slip a section of opened up tubing over it, epoxied in place as a doubler. Welding it on is even better.

To proof load the rod afterward, see FAR Sec. 23.397, which says the rod must withstand being pulled at between 100 and 167 lbs of force at the stick against the stop without deforming. 

see https://www.risingup.com/fars/info/part23-397-FAR.shtml

Edited by nlappos

Posted

Thank you, guys. I swapped the bolt around, and there is clearance between the rod and the stop at full back elevator. I like the idea of adding some tubing and getting it welded in place. Many thanks for the FAR reference. I had no idea where to find that.

My short list is getting very short, and I'm starting my tail wheel training. I should be flying her soon. Can't wait! Well, I can and have but I'm very excited to be looking at flying her soon. I appreciate all of your help and will post pictures soon.

Posted

Hard to give a reply, at least for me.  Maybe you could take a few more pictures.  I'm not sure where the problem is.  JImChuk

Jim, for reference this is what I was talking about. This is a close up from the rear looking forward. The bolt you see over time wore into the elevator tube as it protruded too far to the rear. I flipped the existing bolt and it fit well and was nowhere near the tube. I'm getting a slightly longer drilled bolt so I can face it forward and put a cotter pin in to prevent the nut from backing out since it will be facing forward instead of backward.

IMG_1921.jpg