Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Back again

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey guys, just sold my challenger due to the airport being an hour away. Loved the bird, but things change. Now looking for something along the line of SkyRaider, RidgeRunner, or Kitfox lite. Folding wings a must so I can keep it at home and use the local hay field. Any suggestions or advice?  Single seat is just fine, ultralight even better. Thanks!

Posted

Long way from you, but I just saw this on barnstormers.   JImChuk

KITFOX LITE / BADLAND AIRCRAFT • $10,500 • FOR SALE TO GOOD HOME • Kit Fox Lite. 2si 460F35 engine.Pictures available. Enclosed trailer available for additional fee. • Contact Steve Irving , Owner - located Rosamond, CA United States • Telephone: 661-917-2096 • Posted February 13, 2022 

Posted

I seen that and would like to have it. But there is a law somewhere about a hillbilly driving to CA. If there isn't, there should be a law enacted!

Posted

Ah man great to have you back it has been so quiet around here.

Posted

Thanks! The drive to the hangar at an hour each way kind of took the fun out of it. Not to mention 2400 a year rent. A folding wing bird will solve a lot of issues. I can keep it at home, fly at the local field (no hangars) and its only 15 minutes away. Seriously looking at a true ultralight since BFR's are requiring travel anymore just to get it. Since I mostly fly alone, and as a stress reliever, a single seat will do the job just fine. I was looking at the Badlands UL's but they are out 10-12 months lead time on kits. A SkyRaider, RidgeRunner, Badlands or Kitfox lite is pretty much the same. Can't remember what the Avid single seat was called.

Posted

People might know this airplane, PT 103 Ultralight  http://www.affordaplane.com/

Posted

Avid single seat was called a Champion.  JImChuk

Posted

If I remember right Culver props company makes one too.

Posted (edited)

They did at one time called the backyard flyer or swing wing, can't remember which. Then he passed away so don't know if they still do. It sure would fit the situation for me. Seems like a performer, too.

Edited by Allen Sutphin

Posted

Single place ridge runner on the yamaha face book page right now $5000 by Illinois  

Posted

Not on facebook!

Posted

Allen,

got a barn-find for you in Covington VA - Kolb Firestar w/503. Complete. Needs TLC.  Contact me directly: gainsback@yahoo.com

Paul

Posted

Allen, I just spotted this in FB  I think in OK:

Medical sale. Backyard flyer with one hour flying time. Only tricycle gear flyer in the country. Full doors, parachute, 50hp generac engine, ac radio and strobes.always hangared and wings covered. Two props included. 405-208-3711

Posted

Allen, I just spotted this in FB  I think in OK:

Medical sale. Backyard flyer with one hour flying time. Only tricycle gear flyer in the country. Full doors, parachute, 50hp generac engine, ac radio and strobes.always hangared and wings covered. Two props included. 405-208-3711

saw that one too

Posted

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

I just spotted a Fisher FP303 on FB that might suit you. Rotax 277. Brand new build needing covering.  $8200 Over Indiana way - not too far out your way.  Perhaps you could retrofit a folding wing mechanism into it.

May be an image of 1 person and outdoors

Edited by allonsye
content

Posted

Here's another.  Racair, Rotax 277.  Asking $6000.  In IA

May be an image of airplane

Posted

For some strange reason, I have my sights set on a Sky Raider or Ridge Runner. And hopefully a pt 103 bird. The Badlands UL is a sweet bird, but for the price I could find a Avid/Fox IV.  If I can spend a couple hours looking at one, I could build one from scratch. But I am in no big rush to jump into something I may not want. Been there, got the T-shirt, coffee mug, and less money. Getting ready to get a TIG welder as another tool. As an A&P I still get to fly on occasion. Plus, I live among the best native trout fishing in WVa.

Posted

For some strange reason, I have my sights set on a Sky Raider or Ridge Runner. And hopefully a pt 103 bird. The Badlands UL is a sweet bird, but for the price I could find a Avid/Fox IV.  If I can spend a couple hours looking at one, I could build one from scratch. But I am in no big rush to jump into something I may not want. Been there, got the T-shirt, coffee mug, and less money. Getting ready to get a TIG welder as another tool. As an A&P I still get to fly on occasion. Plus, I live among the best native trout fishing in WVa.

Gotcha.  BTW, the F303 has folding wings I just learned.  Good luck. Will keep a look out for 'ya.

Posted

Not that any of us make hard landings, but I on occasion, have made a few carrier landings when I needed to get it on the ground and right now. I really don't have much faith in a wood structure airframe in those conditions. I know wood is a strong material, but airframes take quite a bit of abuse in off airport operations. I just prefer the landing gear attached to a metal frame rather than wood. But that's just my opinion.

Posted

When I was flying my Himax (wood aircraft) I put it though lots of 'hard' landings.  It stood up to them all.  Actually, Wayne Ison designed the Fisher 303 for Fisher aircraft.  If you compare it to the MiniMax, you see the similarity between the two planes.  Not a cheap price on that Fisher plane though.  Frequently one sees flying MiniMaxs or Himaxes for less.   Take a look at this forum, it's for MiniMaxes and HImaxes.  Maybe something is available there.  Here is a video of my Himax on skis.  JImChuk

ETLB Squawk Forums - ETLB Squawk Forums (lonesomebuzzards.com)

Himax ski takeoff - YouTube

Posted

And no metal airframes to rust. Like houses they prevail over time. 

Posted

Well your dream might have arrived Alan. Brand new 0-time J Bird 440 pwrd Champion just popped up on FB. It’s a beauty.  In Sparks NV. $10k.  If ya snooze ya lose as is said. 

Posted (edited)

You can't get to NV from WVa!!  Besides, under the current situation, spending 10-15K right now might not be the smartest thing to do. I sold my challenger at the right time and maybe I'll chill for awhile.

Edited by Allen Sutphin