Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Using ethanol laced mogas in a MK4

1 post in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have an avid MK4 heavy hauler with the STOL wings and two 14 gallon fuel tanks.

When I 1st had the model B I could burn mogas with MTBE until it was outlawed. I soon found that the ethanol laced tanks can't handle the ethanol because it softens the resin in the poly ester tanks. At some point I know that Kitfox changed to polyvinyl tanks and was wondering if Avid ever changed and if so...when. My avid was built in 1996.

A friend, Joey says he has been using California mogas for years in his MK4 with no issues. So, this has me hopeful that maybe my tanks will handle mogas.

I run a Jabiru 2200 85 HP engine which can except mogas at 91 AKI. 

As a test I have drained the avgas from one tank and put in two gallons of 91 mogas. I will fly on the avgas in the other tank, and I will drain a little out of the mogas tank each time to see if the mogas starts to turn yellow...a sure sign that the resin is softening.

Let me know if anyone here is using mogas.

Two airports near me in SoCal have banned the sale of 100LL and the public is becoming more concerned with the lead we are using even though aviation gas accounts for less than 1% of the motor fuel used in the US. That coupled with the fact that the only supplier of lead tetra ethyl is one producer in England. If that plant goes belly up GA is SOOL.

John M

Edited by skypics