Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Electrical Power out of the 582 or 670

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Need some info. I am shipping off the 582 for a new 670. While off I was thinking about installing an EFIS from Grand Rapids. Does the 670 or 582 provide enough power to run it along with charging the batt, radio, lights Etc.. Is anyone running an EFIS now, if so which one and did you have to do anything special for it?

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by SlyRoo

Posted

Not really a way to tell without knowing what you already have.

The stator has 12 poles and 8 are used for accessory charging and 4 are used only for ignition. The ignition side is totally separate from the accessory power, so worst case is the accessory side can't keep up with the load and you run your battery down but the engine won't stop.

You will need to do a load analysis to see. The accessory portion of the 582 stator puts out 170 watts. At 12v that is right at 14 amps. Whether that is enough depends on what you have installed. For example I had a Whelen wingtip strobe/nav light system and the strobe power supply all by itself consumes 7 amps at 12v, not counting the nav lights which were another 5 or 6 amps for a total of about 12 or 13 amps. So right there you are pretty much maxing out the stator. However, I replaced the old nav/strobe system with a LED strobe/nav setup and the entire new light system draws 2 amps maximum total. So, like I said, you have to add up the average draw from everything you have installed and come in below 14 amps.

Posted

Thank you for this, that is a great way to do this. Right now i just have LED landing lights. Ok let me add up the draw and get back to you. Thank you

Posted

I never had a problem drawing too much from the lighting coils. I ran LED landing lights, LED strobes, a full sized radio, mode c transponder and GPS and never had issues with charging the battery during flight. I even ran seat heaters at cruise in the winter.

It's important to understand that at idle and lower RPM the lighting coil puts out much less current, so while idling, taxiing and so forth all of the accessories are really running off the battery, so only run the seat heaters at cruise :-)

Posted

Chris, I am pretty jelly right now, seat warmers, I don't even have a heater in mine hahaha. That is good info, ok just need to draw up the load and I think I will be fine. Also installing a heater haha.