Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Damaged Avid after main gear collapse

8 posts in this topic

Posted

My Cub yellow Avid Model C SN: 573 that I bought last year and refurbished her back to an airworthy condition so I thought,  needs a right wing.  During the first flight since 2012, it ground looped mildly, but when returning to the runway, the right main gear folded.  Corrosion under the shock cord strut that was nicely covered and wooded for aerodynamics hid a crack and held it until we really loaded it.  The wing actually went straight down onto the wingtip and bent leading edge spar and possibly the main spar.  She’ll need them replaced or a good used right wing.  I sent the Warp drive hub out for inspection and new blades.  A new NSI gearbox was on the toolbox already and I have a new right gear assembly.  I’m ordering new Hatz landing gear. I decided to install wider and forward 4 inch forward gear.

Anybody have a forward spar for the Model C? I’ll see if Mike Mendick can sell me one and a outboard rib.

doug123

Posted

Wow! Sorry for you.  Do you have the heavy hauler wing?   If so it would have  .083" wall thickness on the spars.  I don't think they are available.  Kitfox is in Idaho, and they would have .065" struts.  Or maybe you could get it from the Aircraft Spruce west outlet in California.  As I remember, that is the state you live in.  Shipping would be a real expensive proposition.  I just looked and 12' long piece of 6061 would be $186.  It was .065 wall.  I know of someone in northern Ca who has a set of wings, I'll do some checking for you also.  JImChuk

Posted

Why don’t you call Troy at Just Aircraft, they have, this is gonna be hard to explain, a rounded I-beamType stiffener in their spars

If I remember right, Highlanders are built with those 63 and the I-beam insert

Type stiffener in their

If I remember Riley the Highlander

Posted

I think Kitfox uses the same type of stiffener as Just aircraft.  The reason I suggested Kitfox is I think they are about 2000 miles closer to Doug.  

Posted

My Cub yellow Avid Model C SN: 573 that I bought last year and refurbished her back to an airworthy condition so I thought,  needs a right wing.  During the first flight since 2012, it ground looped mildly, but when returning to the runway, the right main gear folded.  Corrosion under the shock cord strut that was nicely covered and wooded for aerodynamics hid a crack and held it until we really loaded it.  The wing actually went straight down onto the wingtip and bent leading edge spar and possibly the main spar.  She’ll need them replaced or a good used right wing.  I sent the Warp drive hub out for inspection and new blades.  A new NSI gearbox was on the toolbox already and I have a new right gear assembly.  I’m ordering new Hatz landing gear. I decided to install wider and forward 4 inch forward gear.

Anybody have a forward spar for the Model C? I’ll see if Mike Mendick can sell me one and a outboard rib.

doug123

That sucks.  Do you have any pics of the failure?  This is sounding all to familiar and is a WELL known and documented issue if it failed where I think it did.  I have made many posts about this on this and other forums.

Posted

I had hand surgery Friday and will post the pictures later this week.  Being one not to sit and cry, I sent Randy Moore a deposit for the new gear.  I have a new right Avid gear, but after this, I trust it about as much as my son with my car keys when he was 16! With that said, my son removed the Warp Drive Prop and sent it out for inspection and to install new blades.  Fortunately, I have a new NSI gearbox ready to go.  Does anybody know the spar thickness?  With a bad hand, we measured .085" x 2.5" and 12ft long? Does that sound right? I'll use the Stewart Systems to skin the wing after we get her back on her wheels. 

Does anybody have a right fuel tank?

Posted

Heavy Hauler wing spars were .083"  wall thickness.  It seems that they are not be made anymore.

Posted

Doug,  I sent you a private message.   Jim Chuk