Matco 8" wide dual fork TW installed

By C5Engineer in Avidfoxflyers General Hangar,
I had my last flat on my POS 7" pneumatic the other day. It had a tube and was only 1 3/4 wide. It was nice on grass and pavement but dug a trench on anything soft off airport. This was my third flat and my rim was all beat up from rocks. I called Matco and found out they sell a conversion to swap your existing Matco over to one of their new dual fork set ups. It came fully assembled and was literally a 10 minute job to swap if you already have a Matco TW. It's one cotter pin and castle nut...drop the old one off and slide the new one on. I borrowed a 6" hard tire from a guy the other day after my flat so I could fly. That's whats in the pics. The difference in height between that one and my new one was right at 2". Not bad considering the tire alone is 3" taller. They call the tire a 8" but it's actually a Carlisle 9 X 3.5 4 ply tubeless. That's the advantage of the dual fork. The arms are WAY shorter than the old single arm they had for an 8". It weighs 3.3 lbs more than my 7" "lightweight" one did. It shifted my CG back about 2" which is perfect. With my E gearbox and the 8lb starter right on the nose my CG was close to the forward edge.

I didn't get to test it because our weather was total garbage here today but hopefully next week I can get out and play with it some. Now I'm really chomping at the bit to get my new spring gear which is 10" wider and 2.5" taller. For those thinking of swapping the price was right around $300.

The wheel on my new one is dang near the size of my borrowed 6" hard rubber tire. The wheel on the new one is Matco's 4" front wheel.

Sorry for the crappy pics. I forgot about taking pictures until I had it back on the lift and about to put it away.

• 12 replies