92 KF IV 912 motor mount- round vs smooth cowl?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm working on a 1992 skystar KF IV speedster.. were there different motor mounts for the smooth vs round cowls back then?  It came with a mount, but no cowl.. if there is a difference, how do I tell which one I have?

Thanks,

-Jack

Austin, TX

Posted

I think it has to do with how the oil tank mounts.  I did mine a bit different, and removed  the Kitfox oil tank  brackets.   I think the newer oil tanks are a bit higher than earlier ones.  This approach may force you to shorten a new tank.  Not positive, but something to check before you get to far if you go the way I did.  JImChuk

fw 5.jpg

fw6.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the response!  The kit had a 912 motor mount, but nothing else for the FWF, and I'm trying to find all the bits I'll need for the install.  Have procured a 912uls (was looking for an 80hp, but..) and want to avoid ending up causing myself more problems.  I tend to leave bloody footprints often enough as is.  I'm not picky about the type of cowling, but have the two rings for a round cowl. It struck me that if there is a difference in the mounts, it would be best to find out beforehand!  I'll take a picture next year (tomorrow) of the mount, and measure the oil tanks (have 2).  I've been digging through manuals and forums, even tried the wayback machine, but thus far I'm not sure..

Thanks again,

-Jack

Posted

Jim?  What's the little dimple on the passenger side firewall for?

My oil tank is 10 inches tall from the (rounded) bottom to the top lip of the filler, sans cap.

Did Skystar/kitfox modify the tanks on the early IVs? I've found reference to a 1/2" height issue.

You went with the smooth cowling- did that make a difference in the mounting of the oil tank? I'll be fabbing my own firewall.. was there a difference in the height of the firewall between cowlings? Speaking of height.. does anyone have the measurement from the top of the firewall to the upper motor mount attach point centers?

Thanks again

Jack

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

Posted

The starter hit the firewall, that is why I had to make the dimple.  I believe the newer rotax oil tanks are taller than the original ones.  If I needed to make more room, I would perhaps raise the cross tube that goes over the top of the tank as you can see in the picture I posted showing the back side of the firewall.  If need be, some gussets perhaps to add enough strength.  I think I have at least 1" from the tank cap and the bottom of the cowl, and also think I have the older shorter tank.  I'm not near the plane just now to verify this.       I could have raised the back of the cowl as well without it blocking any of my forward visibility.  My firewall could have been 1-1 1/2" higher before it would have been higher than the front of the cowl with my line of vision.   If you look at one of my flying videos on youtube, the camera is about at my eye level.     JImChuk