Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fisher 606

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well, I've been putting off posting about this plane till I get it actually flying. It looks like that MAY happen tomorrow.

Web page:   https://fisherflying.com/fp-606/

Video of it running with the wings bolted on for the first time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm4hV1EZLkM

It's currently sitting on my car hauler but I've got some more securing to do yet.

This is what I've been working on instead of my Avid C STOL 997P

I got an old boat trailer I"m going to adapt to it.

I plan to sell the flying airplane and trailer for about 5 grand if anybody would be interested. That will free up space and my attention so I can fix up 997P

At any rate, Woo Hoo

Edited by Avidventurous
missing word
1 person likes this

Posted

Hope you have fun flying it.  I had a Himax years ago, and it's very similar to the Fixher 606.  As I understand it, Wayne Ison of TEAM aircraft designed the 606 and 303 for Fisher, and you can see lots of similarities between the Himax and 606 and Minimax and 303.  What engine do you have in there?  JImChuk

Posted

Yep, I've noticed the similarities between the HiMax and the 606. This is Kawasaki 440 with a three blade ultimate prop. The 440 pamphlet I got from J-Bird engines says 6800 RPM flat out. Mine turns 6200 on the ground so it may be pretty close.  Since the plane was designed originally for 25 horsepower and this is 40hp, I have no idea how it's gonna fly. I"m hoping to get a cruise of 65 or 70 mph but we'll see....

I woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep. (imagine that, on the first day of airport stuff.) I'll have a go pro knockoff over my right shoulder looking forward. Let's hope the video comes out OK. I have an intercom with  a pocket voice recorder. I'll have to do some post editing and then I'll post the vid on you tube.

Got a long day ahead of me and didn't get much sleep. Yahoo!

1 person likes this

Posted

Sweet looks like ull b haveing a blast, im gettin out in my KF today for some of my first ever solo flight 

Posted

Yeah lets see that first flight:)

Posted

Ask and Ye shall receive. Unfortunately, I didn't get any onboard video due to the sd card being already full. D'oh

3 people like this

Posted

Bet you can't wipe the grin off your face!  Good for you.  One thing I would say, is the Ultraprop isn't very efficient, if you can find something else, it will probably improve your performance by quite a bit.  Maybe you can even borrow one to compare.  JImChuk

Posted

Yes on both counts. Because the ultraprop is a constant pitch from root to tip, at least ONE part of the blade is not working at best at every RPM.

Couldn't sleep again. The airport is 54 miles away. I'm gonna try to get a better start today. Maybe I can go around the pattern, the plane seems solid. Wickenburg airport (E25) has surprisingly little traffic and it a NICE airport. Baffles me how a podunk little town can afford such a nice place to play with your planes.

1 person likes this

Posted

Posted

As promised, here is the onboard video from last Sunday. I still CAN'T believer that I am flying my own airplane, even if it is a little one.

https://youtu.be/csPgT40cf-E

Posted

Looks like you are having fun.  What is going on with the ASI though?  How is the static port rigged up?  JImChuk

Posted

Static is open behind the panel. the pitot tube appears to be misplaced (gone). There is a socket of sorts on the leading edge of the left wing. I'm working on adapting a tube to fit. notice during the descent, it seems to work but other times when the AOA is higher, it's in a static part of the air flow. Since I'm shooting blind with the airspeed, I kept the nose down and speed up. I haven't been able to find a POH for this plane but did find one for it's brother, FP202 They're very similar planes.

Posted

I had thought that some of your approaches to land seemed rather slow.  If you get to slow when you are 10 or 15' off the ground, it could make for a very rough landing.  I would really suggest you get the pitot tube installed and working.  Especially if one isn't used to how the plane flys, and ASI is a pretty important instrument.   Really, a 1/4" aluminum tube out by the lift strut attachement point sticking out into undisturbed air, and a 1/4" plastic tube going from it to the pitot tube port on the ASI is about all that it amounts to.  

2 people like this

Posted

Hi Jim. i put an extension on the Pitot tube opening. It works somewhat better but still doesn't instill confidence. Looking at the picture it APPEARS it isn't facing directly in line with the wing. Maybe that may have some effect. I'll keep working on it but it's an all day process to retest after making changes,

Keith

Pitot.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

If the pitot tube is parallel with the bottom of the wing, it should be ok.  I'm guessing the newer style ultra prop is better than the old one.  No experience with them though.

Posted

Thanks Jim

Posted

If you wonder if your pitot tube is leaking, you can check fairly easily with a section of 1/4" tubing.  Slide the tube over your pitot tube, plug the end of the tube and start folding up the tubing.  That's all the pressure it takes to get a reading.  If it's not leaking, the ASI should stay in the same place.   If indicated speed decays it has a leak.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks for the tip.

Posted

Just saw this on barnstormers.  JImChuk

IVO PROP 64" R • $350 • PARTS FOR SALE • 64" R 2 blade $350. with SS leading edge protection, can send pictures • Contact Roger Chase - ULTIMATE HIGH AVIATION , - located Ramona, CA United States • Telephone: 858-204-0132 • Posted December 3, 2021

Posted

Thanks Jim. I need to check if I have the clearance for a prop that big.

Posted

Only loose 2 1/2" clearence.   Probably work ok.  JImChuk

Posted

Hey Jim. Looks like clearance is not gonna be an issue. My bolt circle seems to be the Rotax 75mm although I question the accuracy of my measurement. I'm making arrangements for shipping the prop now. Woo Hoo. I believe you when you say that UltraProp is inefficient. We'll see if the plane behaves any differently. I did note with the UltraProp the engine max RPM seems to be the same static and in the air......

1 person likes this