Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Windy First Flight Lesson Today

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I had my very first flight training session today in a J3 Cub.  I had flown commercial a few times in my life and other than that I had a couple friends take me in a 39 Waco and another in a cabin class Waco.  Guys I gotta say this ole cub on a windy day was some real cowboy shit.  I'm not sure how much I was controlling the airplane but It was a banger of take offs and landings.  Maybe to try and weed out the sissys or maybe they are just a hand full always.  Wind was 10 per the sock not being fully extended. Felt more like 30 mph crosswind. I am scheduled one per week for this month but I can already tell I want more.  Just don't have the bucks right this second.  I got a few side hustles and junk to sell to buy me more time but dang, my girl asked if I liked it and it honestly wasn't really very pleasant, more of a workout.  She asked if I was scared, I didn't have a half a second to even understand if I was scared or not.  It took everything I had trying to keep up.  haha.  I have a lot of work to do. Time to get serious.  I can't wait to go up again.  I've been listening to every ground school video I can find and have begun taking notes and building lists of ideas, questions and procedures.  Not sure if this is how it goes but it's just what I'm doing.  Should I find some sportys vhs tapes and download foreflight?  Now I want to build an airplane even more knowing what it can really do.  Before it was just based on a dream or idea but now I know I can fly.  I must fly.  I will fly in a plane I build. This is serious business. In the mean times it's knocking back hours in the log book

1 person likes this

Posted

The wind is your friend.

Posted

republic,

Don't worry about that wind, get back up and keep learning. I suggest getting your instructor to schedule a few dawn flights, when it is calm and also really beautiful. Once you master the aircraft, you will feel exhilarated!