Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Building an Airstrip

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am starting a project to build a hangar and clear a strip in Utah, and look for some advice from you folks.

The terrain is flat, sandy and filled with sage. See the photo below. The sage is well rooted and about 1 to 2 feet tall. 

What is the best way to clear the strip, I have a JCB 215 backhoe, so I wonder what method would work best and easiest.

For the hangar, I was thinking a simple 40 foot square steel building with a bifold door and concrete floor.

sage.jpg

Edited by nlappos
2 people like this

Posted

Not to much sage brush in northern Mn, but I was curious, so googled it.  Some guys said a brush hog works good, but I think that you would still have the stumps then.  Here is what one guy from Idaho said.  JImChuk

We use a large sweep here for sage brush. It is a v shaped three point attachment that glides 3-5" below the soil and cuts the roots off. The sage can then be collected and burned.

1 person likes this

Posted

Brush hog a couple of years in a row is pretty effective or you should get good results just using the loader bucket and grading the runway works quite good.  That is what I did here in Wyoming.  We used the brush hog method at Miracle Mile with the hog set just above ground level.  Looks like you have a fair amount of clay in the soil judging from the picture.

Posted

Thanks guys. I will try just grading the sage away, or using the Ratchet Rake I have to pull them out by the roots. If that doesn't work well, I'll get a Brush Hog (new toys, anyone?) 

. I figure I'll make a 50 foot wide by 1250 long runway to start with. I'm at 5500 ft MSL, and summer temps are easily 95 degrees so I can get 9200 DA.

Posted

Never heard of a ratchet rake, but googled it. It may work.  One thing for sure, you will have nice approaches, judging from the picture.  JImChuk

Posted

I agree with Jim, looks like it would work.

Posted

I have a ratchet rake, it works well.  My only problem with it is my tractor isn't big enough.  The ratchet rake grabs the stuff very well, but then my tractor either spins the wheels or just grunts and sits there :o.  And that's in Florida sandy soil!  It's not sage, but mostly palmetto and small water oaks (evil evil trees!) . My tractor is only 23hp, so if you have a big enough tractor it should rip that stuff right up.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Mark, I have  90 HP JCB 215, so I hope it does the trick

1 person likes this

Posted

awesome