Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Viking 90hp engine

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello people of knowledge:

I'm looking at purchasing the Viking 90HP engine to install in my Avid project.

Is there anybody out there with experience with these engines. I can't argue the price at $9995.00 new.

Any advice or opinion is welcome.

https://www.vikingaircraftengines.com/new-products/viking90engine#:~:text=90 HP Engine%2C 40A alternator,of this engine is %249%2C995.00.

THX

Viking 90hp.jpg

Posted (edited)

Beautiful engine, what does it weigh?  I found it on the site, 159 lbs. I wonder what that includes, for apples to apples comparisons.

Edited by nlappos

Posted

You did say any opinion is welcome, so I'll give you mine.  There are  912s floating around in the 8000-10,000  range, and sometimes less.  I looked on the website you linked to and didn't see a weight listed.  And if it was, would I believe it?  What ever it is, I'm sure it weighs a good bit more then the viking.  And when you think about the fact that an Avid tends to be a bit on the nose heavy side, even with a 582, think of how much weight will have to be added to the tail to balance things out.  I've been flying my 912 Kitfox for a year now, and I'm really liking that engine.  Mine is 80 HP and last night I was showing 1000-1200 sustained fpm climb after takeoff.  JImChuk

Posted

I have been looking at the 912UL 80hp, but the price is sitting around the $17,000 mark for a new one. I looked up the specs and the weight with the exhaust system and the starter will put it over that 140lb. mark. 

Also the 912 could be lightened up some. Where I'm from 912's are hard to find. That's why I'm looking at alternatives.

They have been using the Viking 90 in a few ultra-lites. What I've read is that its a Mitsubishi with Honda pistons.

Posted

I was talking about a used one.  As far as distance away, most are to far to drive to and pick up, so distance in shipping isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.  Last summer, Hal Stockman had a used 80 HP with about 750 hrs that he had looked over and he would have shipped it to me for $7000.  I see a rotax repair station in Canada with rebuilt or inspected 912 engines occasionally.  Think there was one on Kitfox or Avid FB site a week or two ago.  Not sure how you can lighten up the 912 though, not much extra on it.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks for the valuable info and Hal is an awesome mechanic as well as a stol pilot.

I will keep searching. Thanks again

Posted

This just came up on barnstormers.  Not super cheap, but maybe not firm either.  JImChuk

ROTAX 912 ULS 100HP • $11,000 • FOR SALE • Parting out flying Sonex Trigear . Engine 402 hrs. Spragg clutch,softstart. Running in the plane. • Contact Mike Denis , Owner - located Frankston, TX United States • Telephone: 9032793737 • Posted September 27, 2021

2 people like this

Posted

Another one.  I know nothing about these engines, just posting the adds.  80 HP this time.  JImChuk

ROTAX 912 UL • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • 912 UL with all assessories including exhaust no papers was told only 55 hrs have vidio $8500 .00 • Contact Greg Lucas , - located Smiths Grove Ky, KY United States • Telephone: 270 -308-5507 • Posted September 28, 2021

1 person likes this

Posted

There was an older ULS for sale at Park City Aviation at KRRL.   I think $8500 with about 200 hours.  

1 person likes this