Fabric covering a fuselage

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone,

Soon I will be looking to recover my Kitfox Mk2 fuselage with Oratex 600UL with backside coating.

May I ask what the preferred method is regarding what size and shape pieces to use ?

the bit that confuses me is the top piece from the turtledeck back to the vertical stabiliser where it transitions into a curve towards each side.

Any hints or tips ?

Cheers.

Skelly.

1 person likes this

Posted

Remember the Oratex streches as much as it shrinks, when u get back the to that area heat up ur already glued fabric, keep it off the airframe and pull it where u need it and anchor it down, work smart think ahead, then shrink it down works great, ive had the come up and do the Oratex install class in my hanger for me and my friends, and ive done 3 planes now in the stuff. “ILL NEVER GO BACK TO THE OLD WAY”. When i redid the pa12 a few yrs back i killed 10.7lbs off just the fuse and tail feathers. I did a decent Oratex install info and pic on here under “Oratex on a pa12” 

2 people like this

Posted

Cheers Buckchop,

That's useful info.

I'm planning to use Oratex 6000 with backside coating.

Hopefully I will be able to get it to bend round a few curves and do a decent job.

I have a sneaky feeling there will be a few more questions though.

I will be getting myself on an Oratex course at G-TLAC as soon as they resume again.

Cheers,

Skelly.