Avid with a turbo prop?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

So I see 100 hp and 120 hp small turboprops.

Throw cost out the window, as that is a non issue.

My 4 has the big tanks. 28 gallons I think. So I could stay up for a while.

Posted (edited)

Seen several of these talked up but nothing really hitting the market. Innodyn comes to mind. A friend of mine lost some money on that one.  The German model Stuttgart Engineering,that was put into the Avid several years ago has gone silent , no news is probably not good news.  10 gal/hr is pretty much a deal breaker for me. The cool factor is something to consider.  
My friend put the Innodyn in a super cub (Turbine Cubs Of Wyoming).  Had flame out issues and burned way more fuel than advertised .  I should ask him w hat he did with that engine.

Edited by wypaul

Posted

What's the reason people are doing this? I would think any weight savings on the engine would be lost by all the weight in extra fuel you would have to carry. Is it a cost thing with some parts of the country having access to cheap fuel? Or is it more like a Harley rider feeling he needs louder mufflers mentality; realizing there's no benefit other than the change in noise?

I'm still waiting for someone to build a wood gas converter to fit inside an Avid. (And I've lost countless hours designing such a system in my head.) Totally not practical but it would sure  be cool to be able to land somewhere and top off your tank with twigs and sticks and then continue on your way for free and not be tied by a long leash to a gas pump. The last thing most pilots want on a rag covered airplane is a wood burning stove. I'm in the "I don't care, I want it anyway" category.

2 people like this