Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A new baby coming home

59 posts in this topic

Posted

Well guys, im sure hooked on this things we call planes, hahahahahaaaa Leni warned me back in the begining about having Airplane Sickness. 
 I just picked up a KF5, 0235/115hp, warp drive prop, gps, dual cockpit brakes, huge cargo (compaired to a model 1 i have now) Hahahahaaa!!! has lots of options on it, trim system, adjustable pedals, not sure what all it has and what all was avaliable then, with some luck i may get her home this weekend, the trip into the guys remote cabin where he has lived for 25+yrs and 15+ miles off the road by 4wheeler was one of the best parts of the new plane adventure. And made a good friend too boot that i can fly to and visit now and then. 

3 people like this

Posted

Got any pics?

Posted

Wow Bucky,  you got it bad.  There is no cure!  Hope you have fun with the new plane. JImChuk

Posted

I have a few i took here they r. She is a little dusty/dirty and faded paint but thats no worry. Hahahaaa

F4AA4F3F-CA42-42DF-8AFB-1C9C01AA0333.jpeg

953DCEAE-2BF6-4BEA-B1DB-3E92FF5B504E.jpeg

B5722304-CD2B-4C01-B641-B7AD59F1699C.jpeg

484BEF3A-1F25-4BF0-A4C3-E36694430685.jpeg

AD761161-79C9-4086-A397-B9167539FAEB.jpeg

3 people like this

Posted

Wooo Weee you must have found some gold this year HA. Nice score Bucky you gonna love that one.

2 people like this

Posted

Well no gold yet this yr, lots of work all summer long to get to where we r now, should b haulin down pay to the plant first of next week. Then we will c what we get after all the work.  Here a pic of the cut this yr. 

image.jpg

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Well as more dirt moving happens i dream of my new (to me) airplane flyin in the air!!!!!  Lots to clean after its been sittin, wireing is a rats nest of unorganized unmarked wiring, And the fuel lines could b routed better and cleaner to my liking.

But bad thing is, all 4 finerglass wingtanks have the cream in them and its peelin off, started some resurch on repair, what say u all as best or easy way to repair.  She not going to fly this summer so have sometime to fix it up right. 

Edited by Buckchop

Posted

Couldn't watch it, but heard it running.  Seems like some have rinsed tanks with acetone to get the cream out.  Have to be careful not to dissolve the fiberglass at the same time, as I think that is what the acetone will do if left in to long.  I would do a search on here and team kitfox to see what others did.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

That is why when someone says they are going to slosh their tanks I say 'NO, Don't do it!'

Mark

Edited by marksires

Posted

Ahhhhh my god what a ugly mess!!! And 4ea 13gallon tanks to clean!! Here a pic of one inside but its not the worst one of them. 

ps well here we go again, no pic, no video, nothing to checkout. Damit huh? Hahhaaaaaa

Posted

Well a little cleaning so far, hahahaaaa mayb a new tire too. 

D4BA36F1-5935-4D4F-9856-C7E2A798CAEC.jpeg

Posted

70C475F2-7778-4DA0-9003-482B453CDE2D.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Well a little progress as the snow has put a hold on mining till next week, they same going to warmup into the 40’s durring the day, 19 at night so looks like we b heatin the box durrin the night so can sluice in the days.  So i got 3 days of solid work on the KF5, yahoo. Wiring redo/reroute, some lexan replaced, lots of cleaning for sure. Still havent started the tank cleanin yet. YUCK!! 

BB9A168B-C278-4FC2-BFD3-F20935A11223.jpeg

B0486FF2-6C5C-4502-B164-96EC32FD5693.jpeg

CC35A154-7BB5-41EE-8C52-BA18805F1E30.jpeg

2 people like this

Posted

Anyone have a good trick for polishing out the million little scratches in a windshield? 

image.jpg

Posted

lemon pledge furniture wax helps.  JImChuk

Posted

I bought a polishing kit from ACS but polycarbonate does not respond well to polishing ended up replacing it a couple of times now.  The last time I did this spring I used some anti-scratch/anti-fog stuff (polycarbonate).  Seems to be working great but that stuff went from about $100 to $600 due to all of the C-19 crap.  Can’t imagine what it would cost up in your neck of the world.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yea im not sure what ill do at moment, but a new windshield is on the list, mainly wanted to get it cleaned up so cold play with it a litle this all b4 i put her away with the pa12 till spring, and fly my model 1 this winter. 
Ive aways used pledge to clean the windows but dont think will help the scratches much but worth a try. 

Posted

You could try scratch doctor and an orbital buffer. I've done it once. Help get rid of the surface oxidation maybe so the light doesn't catch the fine scratches so intensely. Worth a try that won't have you out of pocket that much...

1 person likes this

Posted

The stuff panel beating suppliers sell for polishing faded plastic headlights works surprisingly well

1 person likes this

Posted

Picked up a headlight restore kit, mothers brand kit, $23 bucks, so far with a small test spot, it works awesome!!!! Ill b damm!!! Thanks guys!!!

OK, what u all have to say about cuttin open the wings, grindin and scrapin and scrubbin the cream out and reseal with KBS tanks sealant (Thanks Jim for that info) and glueing the lid backon.  Ive done some lookin and so far found not many write ups or videos on anyone doing it.  THANKS 

Posted

I'll take a shot Bucky.   Your tanks have baffles in them, to hold the top and bottom together.  One of my tanks has 3 baffles in it, the older other one has 2 baffles.  That 2 baffle one is the one I had to repair.   I cut the top out between the baffles.  I think it you cut the top off most of the tank, you will still have the baffles holding it to the bottom.  You may have to chop that top all up to be able to separate it from the baffles.  If you were to make up a new piece that you could glue back in place for the top, that may work fine.  Also I think I would do the sealing after the tank is all back together.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I found this somewhere on the internet and saved it as a pdf. Best writeup I have seen on the subject

kitfox resealing tanks.pdf

2 people like this

Posted

109jb that is the best info ive cn so far, Thanks a Million, nice to have some good pic to look at. 

Jim, mine have 3 bulkheads in each tank. 

Posted

Have a look at this thread. I went through something similar. Might be worth a read first before you do decide what to do and how to do it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Well Chris thats cool but dont look like u had same trouble i have, ur tanks leaked? Mine dont leak yet.  Mine r full of chunks of tank sealant that r comin off inside of tanks in a BAD WAY, so that y im thinkin of cuttin them open and cleanin them. 

109jb’s post of the tank cleaning out is the winning ticket in my hanger for the day!! Hahahahaaaaaa 

Going to taxi the 5 from the house up to the shop/hanger in next day or so and start the tank repair.