Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

low fuel warning device for Avids with 2 1/2" header tank

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, a while back someone asked (on FB) about what they should use, and that got me off my butt to finally build one for the Avid. Actually I built 4 as long as I was doing it.... I still have to drill out one of the holes in the header tank, and thread it for 3/8" NPT. Then the coupling that comes out of the bottom of my switch device will screw into the top of the header tank. That coupling is fairly stout, so I think that will be all that is needed to hold the switch device in place. I didn't have any 1/4" hose fittings handy, so just screwed these 3/16" ones in for the pictures. Small fitting on end is for left wing tank line. One top fitting is for right wing tank line, other top fitting is for header tank vent. I think it will work fine. If I had one in a plane a few years ago, I think I would have one less crash landing to my record. I put one of the float switches in my Kitfox a few months ago, but their header tank has a fitting near the top that I could screw the float switch into. JImChuk

Madison M7750 Plastic Side-Mounted Liquid Level Float Switch, 30 VA SPST, 1/2" NPT Male, 100 psig Pressure: Electronic Component Liquid Level Sensors: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

low fuel alarm 1.jpg

low fuel alarm 2.jpg

low fuel alarm 4.jpg

low fuel alarm 5.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks good.  Much like the one KF sells that I put in.

Had mine go off once when I still had 4 gall of wing gas left but was flying with that wing low for a period of time (fuel sloshed away from tank outlet).. The warning horn mighta saved me from a possible fuel starvation when I thought I was doing good.

1 person likes this

Posted

The header tank on the Avid is a lot higher then the Kitfox one, so their low fuel warning tank would'nt  work as good as this one for the left wing tank.  With this one screwed into the top of the header tank, it's as low as possible, and that serves to mount it in place as well.   With the left wing tank, I have the fuel line running along the back side of the tubing at the top of the seat.  I still have to turn the line up a bit, but not near as much as it would be with the Kitfox one.  And it vents air from the header and it's self at the same time.  JImChuk

Posted

I made something else up that I have fitted to the Kitfox and Avid.  I have electric trim on the Kitfox, and it is slow.  Probably 20 seconds to go all the way from center to the end.  And that is what you need for landing, is all the way to the end.  Then it's 20 seconds back.  I rigged up a lever that fits on the joystick, and pulls a bungee that wraps around the seat truss.  Takes a second to apply, and a second to take off.  I leave the electric trim in place and just use it for cruise flight.  JImChuk

20211008_113338.jpg

20211008_113400.jpg

20211008_113451.jpg

20211007_211120.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Thats impressive Jim Nice work

Posted

Thanks TJay,  the trim thing really works nice and fast.  And the low fuel warning thing would have saved me one off field landing, and maybe one wrecked airplane besides.  You know how they always close the barn door after the cows are in the neighbors garden....  JImChuk

1 person likes this