Posted

Is anyone going to this?

I'll be competing with my Kitfox IV

https://www.arkanstol.com/

1 person likes this

Posted

A couple of my local friends are going.  I’m stuck at work….  :(

Posted

Well that's a bummer Larry, its gonna be a great event this year. 

Posted

Any updates and on the ground reports?  Looks like a cluster this year with wrecks and broken pilots.

I gotta toss in my normal .02.  One thing that has and continues to kill lots of people is the "accelerated stall" and the uncoordinated "moose hunter stall".  Seems these folks are now promoting events that use both of these elements in the course.  Is your few minutes of youtube fame worth your life, or worse yet, being busted up and have life altering injuries that keep you out of the air and reliving your choices? 

I enjoy doing dumb shit and getting out exploring, but it seems when the cameras are rolling guys are pushed to do things beyond the skill set and limits.  Think about this as you are filming your daring deeds to see how many thumbs up you can get on youtube and how many likes your FB post will get.

Stay safe out there and have fun!

:BC:

5 people like this

Posted

Well i do agree with u Leni, but i dont mind watchin them, but sure DONT mean im going to try it!! 

1 person likes this

Posted

Its amazing how big your package gets when some one is recording you huh. :lmao:

If I had better brakes on my plane I would have tried it when they were in Nebraska Think I would be really competitive. Oh well I got to meet Fire Fox That was just as fun.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

A local guy wanted to do one of these competitions at his home-field as a EAA-Chapter event.  I chose not to participate, as did many others, and it was finally cancelled, because I just didn't get a warm-fuzzy from the prospect of tight, low altitude, low airspeed maneuvering like this.

One of the guys, who crashed the highlander, is a high time, experienced bush pilot with Reno STOL-Drag competition experience.

The moose-hunter turn is a real danger to even the most experienced pilots.

Edited by Av8r3400
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I competed at ArkanSTOL this year and it was fun!!! great people and an awesome event. I place 5th in Light Sport with my little 80hp Kitfox :BC:. I'm happy with that considering 3 that beat me where 180hp Carbon Cubs and a Highlander with 155hp turboed Rotax. 

I do agree that in a competition environment it's easy to do things, do to the pressure of spectators, and cameras ect, that you normally wouldn't do. That being said, from watching pilots and from flying the course myself, by knowing your limits and your equipments limits the course can be flown very safely. I've learned a lot of skills doing it, that I wouldn't have learned other wise. 

A little info on the 3 airplanes that the media didn't quite cover. Two of the incidents where mechanical failure, engine issues on one, and gear leg attach bracket broke on the other due to a pore weld, they could have been an issue next flight regardless of being at ArkanSTOL or not. the Highlander just screwed up. Pilot error, and preventable. Something that all of us pilots have to watch out for every time we fly the backcountry.

But I guess the risk and skill involved in it, is what makes it so fun, for me. 

If one chooses not to compete in an event like this I dont blame um. 

I can't wait for next year. 

Here's some pictures of me and my airplane at ArkanSTOL. Some in competition and some just waitin to go fly. 

Cheers

IMG-20211003-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20211003-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20211003-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20211003-WA0009.jpg

20211002_153305.jpg

20210928_074044.jpg

DSC_4200.NEF.jpg

DSC_4615.NEF.jpg

Edited by FireFoxIV
2 people like this

Posted

Very nice write up and photos.  And you have the standard bungee gear as well from the looks of it!  You did good!  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice work and some nice pictures of the plane.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jimchuk

it's the standard KF gear, I actually like them. They work quite well once you learn how to use them :)

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jimchuk

it's the standard KF gear, I actually like them. They work quite well once you learn how to use them :)

You have a video of flying into your airstrip. Your dad told me it was a 1000 foot strip  but not really 1000 foot ha.

Posted

Thanks Jimchuk

You have a video of flying into your airstrip. Your dad told me it was a 1000 foot strip  but not really 1000 foot ha.

haha its a 1000' edge to edge but 850'- 900' is realistically useful cause of how the land lays. 

1 person likes this