Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

STOL pilot's competition in Mn this weekend

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I see the sodbuster STOL competition is being held in Brainerd this coming weekend.  Tempted to fly there in the Kitfox.  Not going to enter or anything though.  80 HP and very little skill against Steve Henry and his 300 HP firebreathing monster is a non starter for sure.  I think some of the bigger names from Oshkosh will be there competing.  JImChuk

2021 Sodbusters STOL - National Short Takeoff and Landing Series (nationalstol.com)

1 person likes this

Posted

I would like to go but it's a 1hr 45min drive for me. It was in Milaca last time which is a little closer to home.

It should be a fun event to watch. Steve Henry and his plane are very impressive.

Posted

Here's where I can brag a little and tell you that I flew Steves current competition plane 2 years back...   buuut yeah for only for about 45 seconds at 1000ft... and it was when he was running the 150 HP NA Apex so it was merely impressive and not insane.

The best part of course was the part where Steve was doing the flying and showing me the "edges of the envelope" that I never dared flirt with in a plane before!

That ride surely ranks on the top of the memorable aviation experiences for me!

Sure hope I can break away for a day here and head to BRD to see his 400HP Turbo Yamaha rip around!!

Posted

Did you get there Brett?  I flew my Avid for just a tiny bit this evening and the smoke was so thick I think I left a hole in it.  Kind of like a reverse sky writer.  (didn't think to write my name)   Sure wouldn't have wanted to fly to or from  Brainerd in that.  JImChuk

Posted

Yep, no pics but it was really laid back and quiet (which I like!).  I got there late and missed the competition flying but had a better time sitting under the wing of Steve's plane for an hour or so "shootin the shit" with him and Jason Busat as Hal Stockman ran the pattern practicing up for the next day's finals.

Three of the best STOL guys on the planet, right here in little old BRD MN.  Sure wish everyone in this game were as down to earth and humble as those guys!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Glad you made it Brett.  Would have liked to have been there under that wing with you guys.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

My son and I made it up there for the finals on Saturday. Great event with some impressive SLOW flying in some gusty 90° crosswinds!

Got to chat with Hal and Steve. Great guys!

They live streamed the event on the Sodbusters Facebook page and you can still watch the event there.

Hope they do it again next year! Worth the 2 1/2 hr drive one way.

Brooks

20210807_144103.jpg

20210807_114322.jpg

20210807_115059.jpg

20210807_144350.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Yep, no pics but it was really laid back and quiet (which I like!).  I got there late and missed the competition flying but had a better time sitting under the wing of Steve's plane for an hour or so "shootin the shit" with him and Jason Busat as Hal Stockman ran the pattern practicing up for the next day's finals.

Three of the best STOL guys on the planet, right here in little old BRD MN.  Sure wish everyone in this game were as down to earth and humble as those guys!!

on the bold... uhhh.. no real delicate way to say this.  It is a FAR cry from flying a 100% purpose built aircraft at minimum weight, and the guys that fly one at gross day in and day out from strips that would make you shit yourself.  Not to take away from the youtube sensations, but to say they are the best STOL guys on the planet :dunno: 

I am sure they are cool enough and down to earth, but I would not call someone flying the lightest bird you can build with a stupid amount of HP in the nose the best stol pilots on the planet.

2 people like this

Posted

Yeah yeah yeah!  We've done this arm wrestling  before :P.   No way to settle it but you are sure right on some points:  Any avg pilot can take off in 6ft with the right plane, power, and headwind.  And also these guys are recreational pilots..  and not Bush Pilots, who deserve their own respect on different levels.

But there are some pretty good displays (yep YouTube displays) of backcountry landings by these "pretty boys" that deserve a nod for superb aviating, and anyone that can consistently land in a 6ft box and hammer the brakes to a stop with the prop tickling the ground also deserves a bit more credit than you're offering...  IMHO  

STOL is but a competition. Bush flying certainly has more depth.  But in the frame of STOL competition these guys have the record to prove their place.  Anyone out there is invited to come take it from them.  Some guys out there could, and watching that showdown sure would be fun to see!

:BC:

Posted

Lenny, I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. You are right that these guys are not bush pilots flying bush planes and I don't think that is what Yamma-Fox meant by calling them the best STOL guys. Maybe it would be more accurate to call them great STOL Competition guys. They are very entertaining to watch and are drawing large crowds at Oshkosh and STOL competitions around the country and this is helping draw a younger audience into an aging and dying industry. Some of those kids might even become real bush pilots some day.

Posted

Yeah yeah yeah!  We've done this arm wrestling  before :P.   No way to settle it but you are sure right on some points:  Any avg pilot can take off in 6ft with the right plane, power, and headwind.  And also these guys are recreational pilots..  and not Bush Pilots, who deserve their own respect on different levels.

But there are some pretty good displays (yep YouTube displays) of backcountry landings by these "pretty boys" that deserve a nod for superb aviating, and anyone that can consistently land in a 6ft box and hammer the brakes to a stop with the prop tickling the ground also deserves a bit more credit than you're offering...  IMHO  

STOL is but a competition. Bush flying certainly has more depth.  But in the frame of STOL competition these guys have the record to prove their place.  Anyone out there is invited to come take it from them.  Some guys out there could, and watching that showdown sure would be fun to see!

:BC:

Yep! I want to see Yee Haw 6 (or is it 7?) vs Lil Cub!