Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Assembly Manual Help Needed

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Greetings, I am Steve and I'm new to the Forum and the owner of a New (to me) Kitfox model 3 Kit. I picked it up yesterday. I am the 4th owner and a lot....a lot of parts are missing from the kit. I don't even know where to begin with that issue. However, I have plans to scratch build a Raven clone so some of the missing parts can be fabricated using those plans.

To the point I need help with the Assembly manual. I was given a binder about 4" thick and was told there were 2 complete manuals contained within. Well, as part of my inventory I was using the manual to identify some un-labled parts. I noticed I am missing quite a bit of the manual according to the contents page.

Does anyone have a digital copy or a spare they would part with?

I am missing the: Introduction, landing gear, revision list- parts, I didn't see an electrical, and Engine sections. I am also missing F-8, 10,12,14,16,18 and 20, CF contents and CF-15.

Could someone help me out here? Also, does anyone have leads on spare wing ribs and false ribs? I am missing a few ribs and all but 1 false rib. I appreciate any help in advance.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a complete Hardware kit or do I just need to source everything individually off of the parts lists?

Thank You

Posted

I don't think you will find a complete hardware list anywhere.  Although Kitfox would have had it in their parts list paperwork when they were preparing a kit for shipment.  False ribs would be real easy to make, but use aircraft grade plywood.  Make a pattern and use a router table to make more of them.  A router bit with a roller bearing on the top works good.  The bearing rides on the pattern while the cutter cuts the new rib shape.  https://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v117-0402/ea_-_laminate_trim  Flush Trimming & Pattern Bits

Posted

1Avidflyer, I appreciate the post. I am hoping to avoid purchasing tools like a router table although I have considered taking my plans for a large format 3D printer and modifying the print head carriage, as well as, the print bed to work as a cnc router setup. I'm at the point in my career that I have less time than money which is a first. I was hoping to save the former using the latter. If it comes down to it and I can't find another way I will definitely use the router idea. Thank you.

Posted

Easy way to make a router table is a small piece of plywood with a hole in it.  Screw the router to the plywood with the bit sticking up through the hole.  Set plywood on sawhorses.  Done.  How many ribs and false ribs do you actually need?  JImChuk

PS,  welcome to the group!

Posted

1avidFlyer, thanks again. I have used that method for a fast router table before, also using a circular saw as a table saw. With the cost of CDX and other ply at the moment it's cheaper to buy a used setup off the ole craigslist, Lol.  I just ordered the KF3 manual from John McBean so hopefully I have solved 1 issue. Now all I need is a false rib and butt rib template and I will likely make all of my stuff on a router table. Or pay my nephew to do it since time is not something I have a lot of at the moment.

Posted

I could probably trace out a paper template for each and mail them to you.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

Jim! I'd be forever grateful if you did. I'd be willing to pay for the tracings too. I'm not trying to be lazy with making things by the way. I work on old bridges doing repairs and I recently got promoted so my 1...sometimes 2 days a week off aren't a guarantee anymore. I would rather throw money at buying missing parts than taking the time to make what I can get. However, talking to John McBean he had the same suggestion as you. I have a a pretty smart and handy 16 year old nephew who likes money. So I figure I will provide him the material and show him what needs done and let him at it. A good way for him to earn some cash and it will save me the time that can be better spent actually working on the plane.

Edited by Landcruisinmy93

Posted

Private message me your address.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Well, I no longer need manual help. I got the $40 USB copy from John John McBean. It seems pretty complete.

Posted

#Landcruisinmy93 do you have McBean's contact info?

Thanks