Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spars

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently purchased an Avid Catalina project. The wings where complete ready for cover. My research showed that there were two wall thicknesses for the aluminum spars. .063 inches and .084.inches. Mine are the .084. Going through the manual there is talk about installing interior spar stiffeners made of wood in the shape of an I beam. My manual does not talk about spar wall thickness. Also these internal stiffeners have to be installed before the root end of the spars are completed. My spars do not have these internal stiffeners. Do the thicker wall spars require the stiffeners? Can anyone address this issue. Thanks.

Posted

I just talked to Jim Raeder who worked with Dean for many many years and he advises putting the spar Stiffener inside we’re the strut meets the spar, they found on the Magnum that it needed it!!!!

Posted (edited)

I have the thicker spar on the catalina and it has to have the stiffener for sure....remember this avid has the biggest wingspan of all...36ft

Edited by flywise

Posted

Thanks for the replies. As I mentioned my wings have all the fittings installed including the root end attach fittings. The instructions say the spar stiffeners have to be installed before that. Also can anyone tell me the dimensions of these stiffeners? Height width and length. I assume they are made from Sitka spruce.

Once I know the dimensions I will work on what size I can insert at this point and maybe come up with a method of injecting an epoxy to fill in the gap.