IV fuselage repair - measurements

12 posts in this topic

Posted

I have a crashed and repaired fuselage. Although the plane has been in service flawlessly for years since then, I don`t like the workmanship of previous owner. Welding is awful, no splices and metric tubes were used. Further additional `improvements´ were madeconfused.png
Goal is to get the fuselage back in original state as much as possible referring to AC43.13

1. What is correct tube size (green) of the longerons. OD is 1/2", but unsure about wall?
2. Does anybody have a bare, undamaged IV fuselage handy and could help me with some measurements in case? No rush!

fuselage01.thumb.jpg.49644e3df58e89bbf49fuselage02.thumb.jpg.552376c776c05ddced2

Posted

Tubing is .035" wall thickness.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks!
Unfortunately 4130 tubing is sold out at the moment (Germany)...have to wait.

Like more pics? Here is the bent mess...mad.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=28377&stc=1fuse3.thumb.jpg.7a28d08fa1edd927e38c502ffuse4.thumb.jpg.adeef1f4b99df8be93b65c76fuse5.thumb.jpg.7a51a3b6a59de6a802ae33d4
previous repairman added triangle braces and steel stringers side and bottom, maybe to strengthen his welding skillsrolleyes.png

Posted

I'm planning on measuring up my fuselage in the next few weeks. Mines badly repaired and has some corrosion. If it's not repairable I may build a new one from scratch. I'll post my drawings when I have them. 

Posted

would be great to have some measurements as a cross reference…

Thanks!

Posted

anybody out there with a genuine (not crashed) fuselage?

I want to replace some parts of the lower longerons due to improper repair. Questions:

- are the longerons one piece till the tail?

- is the longeron shape gently bowed (like #1) below or is the longeron divided in sections with straight tubes angled (like#2)

Hope you got what worries me... 

fuse_long.jpg

2021-09-27 12_09_34-Window.jpg

Posted

here are a couple of pics that probably show what you want.  JImChuk

Photo0663.jpg

Photo0918.jpg

Posted

hmm, thanks!

Looks like a combination of bowed part in the middle and straight ends, tail and baggage area...

Posted

Bent tubes are pretty easy to straighten with a block of wood and a mallet.  Use a hard wood block and a router to shape the block to the tube OD.  A few good smacks with a mallet and its good to go.

1 person likes this

Posted

thanks for any help

Unfortunately I have to replace some sections due to wrong dia./poor welding...