Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Painting the cowl..

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Look what made it into my "paint booth" today!  Like the engine mount this project was one of those that I dreaded and procrastinated over... but I found both projects extremely satisfying and even "fun" once I dug in and tackled them.

Base color is done (Poly Tone Juneau White) and it turned out WAY above my expectations..   not due to my first time talent LOL.. mostly due to how forgiving the Poly Tone is to spray, even through my cheap HVLP gun.

Trim color to go next:

20210625_212716.jpg

4 people like this

Posted

Ok Jim, now we can BOTH head to those fly-ins together ;)

The purple trim is a little off so I think I'll have to go to a paint shop and get a better custom match and go over it again, but dang I am otherwise really happy with my first attempt at paint...   at least way better than the "before pic" 

20210628_170516.jpg

20210628_170457.jpg

20200729_192840.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

Always something sexy about a floatplane sitting in the water like that!  Maybe I am weird!!!

3 people like this

Posted

Always something sexy about a floatplane sitting in the water like that!  Maybe I am weird!!!

That makes two of us!

But it must be the floating part of it, because I think it loses some visual appeal when its on the ice.

Below is a snow pic that shows that "duck out of water" look.  Thisi s the pic I photoshopped to see if I like the plan for the cowl paint pattern.

2019-12-16 21.58.06.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Looks good!  And remember, we are usually our own worst critic.  Looks like a pretty good match to me.  Maybe before the Avid goes down the road, we will get a picture of them together with painted cowls.   Pic was a year ago last March when we met up on the lake ice... JImChuk

Screenshot_2020-03-28-18-56-42.png

Screenshot_2020-03-28-18-56-59.png

1 person likes this

Posted

That turned out nice!

1 person likes this