Avid IV Bandit STOL?

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

https://barnstormers.com/classified-1661538-2012-AVID-IV.html

I emailed him and he sent me a bunch of pictures, including a hand written info sheet, calling it an "Avid IV Bandit STOL" (attached here). Does this make sense? He wrote "STOL" in the email, but my understanding is the Bandit is different from the STOL, with the Mk IV STOL having a max gross weight of 1150 lbs and being designed to accommodate up to a 912 engine (based on the original brochures posted elsewhere on this forum). The serial number of this kit is 1562, according to the note (no letter given). Maybe it's a Bandit with a STOL wing?

He wants $20,000. I'm curious if people think this might be a good deal. He said the engine needs a clutch because it idles too high to land short.

I'm new to Avids and from what I've seen I really like the Mk IV STOL with the higher gross weight, but I haven't had a chance to see any of them in person yet (let alone fly in one). I contacted him before I remembered an Experimental aircraft can't be imported into Canada with under 100 hours TT, so I won't be buying it. I'm just trying to educate myself, and I find all the different variants confusing, so I'd appreciate your two cents as I get a feel for what are reasonable prices. Thanks.

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

IMG_9992.jpg

Edited by Smithereen

Posted

Hi Smithereen,

I am not the encyclopedia on the Avid that some others on here are but from what I remember on the models, the Bandit was a basic model of the MKIV without the luxuries included such as carpet and apolstery, electric trim, and maybe only one wing tank; but how it ends up being completed may not be much different than the MKIV if the builder decided to add the options.  The STOL wing has the same undercamber rib profile as the HH wing but has only one full rib between the flaperon hanger ribs instead of two, so it ends up with a 1050 GW rather than the 1150 GW of the HH wing.  I am not familiar with the Hirth engines so someone else may be able to give you some firsthand experience on them.  They are not nearly as common as the Rotax 582 in these planes so that may mean the plane will be somewhat lower priced.  The plane looks good in the pictures with basic instruments but has electric trim which is nice and at 503 lbs it was built pretty light so it should perform well.  The cost seems reasonable but I would talk to someone who has Hirth experience to have a better feel for it's value with that engine.

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Smithereen,

I am not the encyclopedia on the Avid that some others on here are but from what I remember on the models, the Bandit was a basic model of the MKIV without the luxuries included such as carpet and apolstery, electric trim, and maybe only one wing tank; but how it ends up being completed may not be much different than the MKIV if the builder decided to add the options.  The STOL wing has the same undercamber rib profile as the HH wing but has only one full rib between the flaperon hanger ribs instead of two, so it ends up with a 1050 GW rather than the 1150 GW of the HH wing.  I am not familiar with the Hirth engines so someone else may be able to give you some firsthand experience on them.  They are not nearly as common as the Rotax 582 in these planes so that may mean the plane will be somewhat lower priced.  The plane looks good in the pictures with basic instruments but has electric trim which is nice and at 503 lbs it was built pretty light so it should perform well.  The cost seems reasonable but I would talk to someone who has Hirth experience to have a better feel for it's value with that engine.

Thanks - that's really interesting. I guess in addition to the model/engine/condition/hours/etc, I'll have to look for those details when trying to make an informed decision about a particular aircraft. This is exactly the type of info I was hoping for, so thanks again.

Posted

Smithereen,

One sure thing to find out is the MGW of the aircraft, and its empty weight. A true Mk IV Heavy Hauler will have a max gross weight of 1150 lbs, and most weigh in at about 500 to 600 lbs equipped empty weight. IMHO this is the most desirable of the Avid Flyers, since you can fill the gas and put 2 adults into that 600 lbs of useful load. Less desirable are the A, B or C models with 950 lbs MGW or less, especially those with car engines what weigh 50 to 100 lbs more than the Rotax family. Many C models with Subaru engines are one passenger planes.

I attach a weight and balance excel file that you can use to see hw any given airplane matches up. Good Luck!

LAPPOS N4052X Weight and Bal 2018.xls

Posted

Has anyone had experience with the Hirth engines?

Posted

Smithereen,

One sure thing to find out is the MGW of the aircraft, and its empty weight. A true Mk IV Heavy Hauler will have a max gross weight of 1150 lbs, and most weigh in at about 500 to 600 lbs equipped empty weight. IMHO this is the most desirable of the Avid Flyers, since you can fill the gas and put 2 adults into that 600 lbs of useful load. Less desirable are the A, B or C models with 950 lbs MGW or less, especially those with car engines what weigh 50 to 100 lbs more than the Rotax family. Many C models with Subaru engines are one passenger planes.

I attach a weight and balance excel file that you can use to see hw any given airplane matches up. Good Luck!

LAPPOS N4052X Weight and Bal 2018.xls

Thanks, nlappos - that's what I suspected from looking at the numbers, but it's great to have a spreadsheet to get more precise figures, so thanks for that! I was actually going to ask how many people really fly with two people in the Mk IV, and which models they have.