Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can an Avid be sold?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Unfortunately my heath has finally caught up with my lifestyle. I have an Avid Magnum and will be selling it. It has an O-320, 100 TT, 1600 SMOH, 100 STOH. Grove Gear with 8.50's, and a Scott Tailwheel. ABS in and out transponder, G5, and lot's of extras. All I'm looking for is about how much are they selling for and what is the best method to sell it.

Posted (edited)

Some thoughts:

It will sell easily, and as a Magnum, for a good price. I'm not the one to suggest a price, however! 

Do not worry about future law suits (a big, big internet myth), do some searching on the EAA site. They list a simple release form that they advocate to use to short circuit any future suits. They say not one experimental airplane suit has ever been won. All the defense attorney has to do is show a picture of the "Experimental" placard, and read the definition to the jury.

Keep the airworthiness or registration up to date, do not drop them! If you pull the airworthiness, the plane is now a big paperweight, and the buyer has to convince the local FSDO that every part is airworthy. The value of the airplane will plummet. With the airworthiness still valid, swapping to a new registered owner is simple and fast. 

List it on Barnstormers.com, Take a bunch of good photos and share them on line, and a list of specs, including empty weight and useful load. There is an ad for a guy looking for a Magnum right now.

I'd not use telephone, just send emails with info until the prospect looks really solid, and is ready to send a check. Talking to every kibbitzer is a big time waster.

You have a great airplane, good luck!

Edited by nlappos
1 person likes this

Posted

Good advice from Nick, but I do like to talk to people when dealing on a plane.  And scammers don't want to talk usually, just text you a deal to good to pass up.  When I tell them to call, I never hear from them again.  As far as prices go, something to consider that is better advice for the seller then the buyer.  You only have one airplane to sell.  If you price it low enough, everyone will buy it.  But as I said, you only have one airplane to sell.  So in the end, you only need one buyer.  You can always lower the price if it doesn't sell, but hard to raise it when your phone is ringing off the wall.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't see a magnum for sale for over a year and now there's 4 in the last week.  

Posted

Where are these 4 listed?

Posted

Are you still selling your plane? Sorry if I missed something, I’m just looking all over fir a plane.