Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

My Kitfox gets 27 Desser's

36 posts in this topic

Posted

There's quite a bit difference in size from 22 to 27's. I'm not running tubes so no valve stem to sheer and  i reckon if I spin the rim ill just air it back up lol. I talked to Ty Ferkins from ID and he said he runs his at 4psi and has never had a problem, so we'll see. 

And with you running tubes you can get by with screwing the tires to the rim. But can you not run your rims tubeless? 

Posted

My rims are split and there is no o ring seal. There might be something I could do to go tubeless, but nothing has come to me.

I'm running the 21's on a trike Avid with extended fuselage. I put a rans nose fork on the front with an 800 training wheel. The tail is still too low to land super slow under power without the tail hitting. Been toying with the idea of trying 27's on the mains to get the tail up higher but it might be too ridiculous. Blocking the current tires to your axle height makes everything sit perfect with the tail about 6 inches higher. I would have to switch to 8 inch wheels and prolly go double puck brakes though.

If I were to try 27's It would have to be without tubes because I think 27's with tubes would be a lot of tire to spin up on landing in a trike config. However, the 21's don't feel any different than MUCH smaller mains. I don't notice any more pitching moment with 21's than 600's, so maybe 27's would work.

It was interesting that when I went to 29 inch bushwheels form 850 ribbed tires on my Magnum, I expected a huge difference in the feel of the plane on contact with the ground. There wasn't near as much difference as I expected on pavement. And everyone knows how awesome they are off pavement :-)

Posted

Thanks for explaining what your doing it sounds interesting. Do you have any pics of ur avid?

I don't know that it would look bad, I've seen 701 Zenith's with 26 ABW's mains 850 nose wheel and they look pretty good. 

I could tell a different going from 21's to 27's especially while landing, I can flair more without hitting the tail wheel because of the higher stance. 

Posted

Here are some pics so you can see the tail position and what it looks like blocked up to approximately where the 27's would place it. I blocked it before considering the 27s thinking I might try to extend a second set of landing gear I have laying around. Then I saw your post on the 27s and it got me thinking.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Posted

Wow!!! I gota say thats a nice bird. 

I see whatcha mean with the tail sitting low. I don't think 27's would look bad at all you would just have to get some 8" rims which could be $$$    ill sell you may brake setup when I upgrade my gear cause I'm considering doing a Beringer brake setup possibility, if nothing else ill be doing a rim upgrade so i can run bigger axles, and I won't be needing the ol' Douglas rims. 

What engine r u running? 

Posted

Running a 912s. Just installed a slipper clutch after beating my head against the wall continually replacing broken motor mount bolts and even having to weld a broken mount. I put on a super nice low inertia prop...NOTHING. I put on a soft start module...NOTHING. Finally talked to Hal and bought a used slipper clutch that he overhauled set to 500ft/lb and viola! Starts and stops like butter!

I am not a mechanical idiot. II asked about the slipper clutch and would it help. Talked to people supposedly "in the know" who said if I did "these things" the rough starts would go away and that I did not need a slipper clutch.  Thought it was all about prop strikes only. NO WAY! The 100 HP engine NEEDS it to keep from beating the plane to death starting up. I believe ROTAX committed a crime not recalling 100 HP engines that did not come with the clutch, and requiring slipper clutches be installed. OK done with my rant.

I am interested in your wheels and brakes. It would be the most economical way to see how bigger tires would work out. When are you planning to upgrade? I hope my axles can handle the forces from that size tire. That's another thing I should look into. 

Posted

You sure did go through some frustration! Glad you got it fixed. 

I'm not sure when I'll be upgrading gear, the guy that is going to build them hasn't started building them yet, so not sure on a time. I'm using the 3/4 axles and hope they do all right with the big tires. If i can help it I turn the airplane in a larger radius (mostly on hard surfaces) hoping that will not bend them. I'm no engineer expert so I really have no idea if they are strong enough or not, I just hope they are. Lol

Posted

I'm in the same boat regarding axle strength. I have no idea if they will hold up. I have a friend here locally that may have a set of wheels that might work. If he will part with them I could see if they will work and at least try it out WRT to braking as-is. I am surprised at the authority my brakes have on this plane. I am running the super tiny diameter high pressure brake hose and for some reason it seems to be far superior to the typical Avid brakes I have experienced. Otherwise it's just plain 'ol Matco on this plane. No matter what, eventually I could really use the double pucks if I pull the cord and give this a try. 

Posted

Thats what experienced with the matco setup with the old nanco's i ran before, with single caliper I had all the stopping power I needed. 

Posted

I tried the 3/4" axles with 26" and 30" tires.  Bent both of them in short order.  Loved the 30s for soaking up the rocks tundra but the 582 was just barely marginal and ROC went to around 500 FPM.  That sucked so I ditched the 30s.

Posted

I tried the 3/4" axles with 26" and 30" tires.  Bent both of them in short order.  Loved the 30s for soaking up the rocks tundra but the 582 was just barely marginal and ROC went to around 500 FPM.  That sucked so I ditched the 30s.

Thanks!

1 person likes this