Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Replacing hks700 for rotax

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for advice on replacing old HKS 700e on avid heavy hauler model C. I assume best to go with 582 vs 912? New mount and cowling assume either way.

Posted

Just did some guessing on numbers and some quick math, and if center of engine mass is 25" ahead of the datum and if the 912 adds 35 lbs weight over the 582, about 6 lbs of weight on the tailwheel would offset the extra 35 lbs for the 912.  Say 40 lbs more at that rate for the 912.  Better engine though, but what will that do for your usable load?  JImChuk

PS,  I do have a newer style 582 Avid motor mount

Posted

The Rotax 670 is a nice alternative to the 582 - same mount, fits like a glove. Has 91 horsepower, needs more cooling than the 582.

Posted

Just did some guessing on numbers and some quick math, and if center of engine mass is 25" ahead of the datum and if the 912 adds 35 lbs weight over the 582, about 6 lbs of weight on the tailwheel would offset the extra 35 lbs for the 912.  Say 40 lbs more at that rate for the 912.  Better engine though, but what will that do for your usable load?  JImChuk

PS,  I do have a newer style 582 Avid motor mount

for sale? How much? Will I need a new cowling, do you know?

Posted

I will probably part with it.   Also have the cheek radiators that are usually used on the MK IV.  Some guys use the Kitfox style radiator under the belly, though, especially if they have an older style cowl.   What do you have for a cowl now?   I'll send you a PM with my contract info.  JImChuk

Posted

Looking for advice on replacing old HKS 700e on avid heavy hauler model C. I assume best to go with 582 vs 912? New mount and cowling assume either way.

Looking to sell the HKS?

Posted

Looking to sell the HKS?

unfortunately, it was recalled and never sent back for exchange. Not usable. It’s a throw away, sad to say.

Posted

Looking to sell the HKS?

unfortunately, it was recalled and never sent back for exchange. Not usable. It’s a throw away, sad to say.

I have old short block of this engine,could use yours for parts if you decide to part with it Mark ezbreezyflyer@gmail.com

Posted

Definitely will keep you in mind 

Posted

What do u want for 700e I could use it for my boat. Wouldn’t use on plane

Posted

Rotax has discontinued the 582LC, if you need one get it now .