Finally got the cowl painted

8 posts in this topic

Posted

When I finished the plane about 3 1/2 years ago,  I kept meaning to paint the cowl, but kept putting it off so I could fly the plane.  Now that I'm flying the Kitfox, I finally got around to finishing the bits and pieces that I kept putting off.  A friend of mine made the white decals, they came out pretty nice I think.  JImChuk

20210412_145809.jpg

20210412_145626.jpg

20210412_144920_001.jpg

6 people like this

Posted

Jim, that looks great!

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes it does! Nice looking plane. Curious, why did you go with boot cowl? Or was it started that way and you just went with it?

Posted

The Jabiru cowl was about 1 1/2"  to long.  I would have had to cut it somewhere.  Going with the boot cowl, I kept the flange for the windshield, and took out the extra in the middle of the cowl.  I fiberglassed the top and bottom back pieces together to make the boot cowl.  On my Kitfox 4, I actually sealed and fastened the windshield to the boot cowl, and that is probably the best way to keep things dry behind the firewall.   JImChuk

Posted

Damnit Jim! 

We were supposed to stick together on this thing.

Now I gotta "Keep up with the Chuk"  -_-

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

You'll feel better once you get through it.... :).  JImChuk

PS   like having a tooth pulled that's been hurting for a long time.:lmao:

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

The Jabiru cowl was about 1 1/2"  to long.  I would have had to cut it somewhere.  Going with the boot cowl, I kept the flange for the windshield, and took out the extra in the middle of the cowl.  I fiberglassed the top and bottom back pieces together to make the boot cowl.  On my Kitfox 4, I actually sealed and fastened the windshield to the boot cowl, and that is probably the best way to keep things dry behind the firewall.   JImChuk

Thanks! Makes total sense. I am personally not a fan of boot cowls on these planes, because they make maintenance behind the dash so difficult. I even removed the boot cowl on my Fat Avid and went back to two piece. But faced with what you had to do to adapt to engine length, seems like a great way to accomplish the proper fit...and it shows! 

Posted

I have something like 20 # 8 machine screws that hold the boot cowl on.  If I really need to get in there, I can do it fairly quickly, but it's not very often that I need to do that.  Bit of a different matter with the Kitfox.  There I probably have 20 machine screws just holding the boot cowl to the windshield.  It doesn't leak there though, so that's mainly what I was trying to accomplish when I did that one.  It's kind of a cross between boot cowl and no boot cowl.  Kind of wish I had gone with a full boot cowl though.  the bottom is a pain to get off.  JImChuk

cowl 12.jpg