Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Zipper or Edge big bore kit?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I read more reports about the Zipper kit than the Edge kit. Is one better than the other? I read that the zipper kits tend to have a higher oil consumption. Can anyone share experience with both?

Posted

500 hours and counting on my 105 hp Zipper.  

Operating at lower rpm (4000-5000) will consume some oil, but not at proper cruise rpm (5000+).

No complaints at this time. Quality of the parts and the kit in general was excellent.

Posted (edited)

There is also the Bully Hawk kit from Ronnie Smith in Mississippi.  I suspect that the pistons and cylinders are made by the same company for all of them.  I do know that both Hal at Zipper and Ronnie at Bully are good to work with and will install them if you want but the install is straight forward.  For a few extra bucks you can get the rings fitted and the pistons fitted into the cylinders which is what I did and recommend. I’ve installed both of the kits mentioned above, the Zipper on my own and the Bully on a friends and would say the install is identical.  I think both are recommending now that your engine is 2006 or newer but you can ask them about that.

Hal rates his at 105 HP but that is at 6300 rpm.  I know when I swapped to a 100 hp ULS that I needed to increase the pitch on my prop.  I can say it (the Zipper) was a big improvement over the 80 hp.

Edited by wypaul
1 person likes this

Posted

Interesting that you mention the 105 HP at 6300 rpm.  What happened to the 5800 rpm red line that Rotax calls for?  Wonder how much HP the 80 HP UL makes at 6300 rpm?   I'm thinking about swapping out the 80 HP I have in the Kitfox for the 100 HP ULS I now have sitting on the bench...  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Interesting i was unaware of the Bully Hawk kit from Ronnie Smith in Mississippi. I went down there and took the rotax repairman course with Ronnie.

Posted

Interesting that you mention the 105 HP at 6300 rpm.  What happened to the 5800 rpm red line that Rotax calls for?  Wonder how much HP the 80 HP UL makes at 6300 rpm?   I'm thinking about swapping out the 80 HP I have in the Kitfox for the 100 HP ULS I now have sitting on the bench...  JImChuk

You will not regret putting that ULS on it.  Really makes the plane perform, back to work and get er done.  You’ll like it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Spoke with Hal today, Neat guy and very easy to talk to.

Posted

There is also the Bully Hawk kit from Ronnie Smith in Mississippi.  I suspect that the pistons and cylinders are made by the same company for all of them.  I do know that both Hal at Zipper and Ronnie at Bully are good to work with and will install them if you want but the install is straight forward.  For a few extra bucks you can get the rings fitted and the pistons fitted into the cylinders which is what I did and recommend. I’ve installed both of the kits mentioned above, the Zipper on my own and the Bully on a friends and would say the install is identical.  I think both are recommending now that your engine is 2006 or newer but you can ask them about that.

Hal rates his at 105 HP but that is at 6300 rpm.  I know when I swapped to a 100 hp ULS that I needed to increase the pitch on my prop.  I can say it (the Zipper) was a big improvement over the 80 hp.

Did you need to increase pitch on the prop with the 100Hp ULS because it develops its power at a lower RPM, or are you thinking that the 105Hp Zipper doesn't seem to have as much power as the 100 Hp ULS? I don't know what to take away from your interesting comment.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I was not running my Zipper @ 6300 but set to 5800 max.  The bottom line is Cris the ULS Produces more HP AT THe same rpm than 105 Zipper.  I should say from my observation because I have done no scientific measurement of either engine. 

Edited by wypaul
1 person likes this

Posted

That make sense to me. The guy I know who ran the (105) Zipper ran it a proportionately higher RPM and did get what seemed like pretty much identical power to the ULS. I was just curious. Thanks!