Newcomers with an Avid Amphibian project

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone!

I am thrilled to join you all and post on this forum for the first time.

Let me quickly introduce ourselves and our project

Laurent is an professional aeronautic engineer, ultralight and aircraft builder, currently CFI in a piloting school in Cholet, France.

I am a military pilot, also (very theorically) an aeronautic engineer. I am well into ultralights as well, trikes, autogyros, etc!

We met this february when I undertook my SEP Seaplane Class Rating in Biscarosse, France, as he has been my instructor on the lovely Piper PA18.

Last Month, we bought an Avid Amphibian, sold to us by a removal man who emptied a barn, sadly after the death of its owner.

The aircraft is in pretty bad shape, at least the barn has protected it from humidity, but there is a lot of work to do.

I will post soon in the dedicated category, we'll probably need help on many subjects!

Have fun!

Elie

petit.jpg

IMG_20210327_161727.jpg

IMG_20210324_170203.jpg

petit2.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Welcome to the group!  The plane doesn't look all that bad from a distance.  Keep us updated on your progress.  JImChuk

Posted

Thanks!

It doesn't indeed, but it appears it has suffered at least one rough landing, on the tailwheel first, then it probably slammed the main gear on the ground, the main gear failed.. and the hull had to absorb the impact. So a couple of bent tubes. It was fixed apparently, but quite poorly.. 

We are still performing a deep pre-check, in order to evaluate and list what we will have to do, I'll share our conclusions soon :)

Have fun!

Elie

Posted

Congratulations on your Amphibian!

I too am bringing a Catalina to life that suffered an engine out which resulted in a hard landing and some bent tubes and a poor repair of the main gear. Unfortunately in my case the people I bought it from did not tell me about the engine out and hid the damage by putting lipstick on the pig. Even with the experience I have with Avids, I was fooled by a combination of the "car salesman" I I bought it from and the beautiful look of the plane (even with a through look over). The damage was hidden under panels that had a lot of screws to remove, and everything else was PERFECT. So..... I am stuck with figuring out what to do. I am currently working on the strategy to make the landing gear OK with a minimum of reconstruction.

My goal is to have it in the air this summer.

I look forward to your posts and I too will share as I work on my bird! 

Chris

Posted

I too am bringing a Catalina to life that suffered an engine out which resulted in a hard landing and some bent tubes and a poor repair of the main gear. Unfortunately in my case the people I bought it from did not tell me about the engine out and hid the damage by putting lipstick on the pig. Even with the experience I have with Avids, I was fooled by a combination of the "car salesman" I I bought it from and the beautiful look of the plane (even with a through look over). The damage was hidden under panels that had a lot of screws to remove, and everything else was PERFECT. So..... I am stuck with figuring out what to do. I am currently working on the strategy to make the landing gear OK with a minimum of reconstruction.

Chris

Thanks for telling us!

I am always wondering.. are those people considering they did a good job fixing the damage or are they knowingly selling a dangerous plane.. ?

Would you provide some pictures of your aircraft?

Posted

I will be happy to share. I already started a thread on it when i bought it, but the realization of the actual condition of the plane to what i thought/hoped it was, and other priorities set it on the side. However I am getting ready to begin work in Ernest. In this case i do not plan to tear it completely apart and rebuild as I might have wanted to do at one time. I just want to get it flying safely and have fun with it. So my fixes will be minimalist to make it safe not to make it perfect. It goes against my grain to do that, but I want to fly it much more than build on it so I will live with safe but not perfect to get it up and going. After all the damage (and repair) will be covered by well screwed down floor boards! :-)

Posted

Hey welcome to this group. Five years ago I bought and restored to flying condition the red avid catalina (rotax 912 power) and this group helped me a great deal

If you need anything don't hesitate to get help here. 

.....my name is also laurent hahahah

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AvMw5i-09AkLmURmKBSU8uAlC3IR

Posted

Chris

Hey Chris, do you have pictures of the damaged tructure. I am just wondering what a hard landing does to the bottom of the hull

Thanks, Laurent

Posted

Thanks for the warm welcome Laurent!

I have no doubt this forum will provide a precious help for our restoration 

Here's a picture of the tube just above the redan. Not sure if it is very explicit, but most likely the hull went up and bent the tube when the main gear collapsed.

The hull was probably forced back in place, bending the tube further upward. I am not sure of the reason for the stratification seen over the tube.. 

Positive point : the bilge pump attached on the tube still works!

Have fun!

IMG_20210330_112404.jpg

Posted

Hey Laurent, the fibreglass wrapped over the tube used to be for fixing the tube to the bottom of the hull. Over time this can be a problem causing corrosion. I guess this is under the rear seat?

Posted

Hey Laurent, the fibreglass wrapped over the tube used to be for fixing the tube to the bottom of the hull. Over time this can be a problem causing corrosion. I guess this is under the rear seat?

Actually it is a little bit behind the rear seat but yes, it is probably designed to bind with the bottom of the hull..!

Posted

Hello all!

Time for a quick update! After a halt, Laurent has been able to resume work on our Amphibian, time to strip the fuselage!

The fabric has been taken off, too bad it was still in a quite good condition, but we have to assess the tubes condition. 

The rust seems harmless and limited to the surface, great!

IMG-20210824-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20210825-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0007.jpg

Posted

Barkes seem good as well, a little cleaning and they should be good to go! (or should we go full Beringer? :huh::P)

IMG-20210826-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0005.jpg

Posted

The gear tubes have been removed as well, no doubt it has suffered a lot.. and has seen a nasty repair as well

IMG-20210823-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20210823-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20210823-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20210823-WA0015.jpg

IMG-20210823-WA0016.jpg

IMG-20210823-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20210823-WA0019.jpg

Posted

Actually it is a little bit behind the rear seat but yes, it is probably designed to bind with the bottom of the hull..!

If I understand the impact location, the hard landing actually crushed the 'step' ( le redan). That must have been a substantial hard landing

Posted

Barkes seem good as well, a little cleaning and they should be good to go! (or should we go full Beringer? :huh::P)

IMG-20210826-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0005.jpg

Hey Laurent, I find that it is safer to have less brakes than too much brakes on the Amphibian/catalina. When you come into landing the amphibian touches down soooo slow (34Mph) you usually don't need the brakes to slow her down. When using the brakes to correct bad runway alignment on landing ( or try and save a bad landing) it's best to have less brakes as the avid will swing hard around its vertical axis because the wheelbase is really narrow. Also consider that a hard breaking or full power run with brakes set will lift the tail up in the air and slam the nose onto the ground with good noise, the elevator is not enough to overcome the pitching moment (high thrust line..)

Hope that helps :)

Posted

IMG-20210826-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210826-WA0005.jpg

Hey Laurent, I find that it is safer to have less brakes than too much brakes on the Amphibian/catalina. When you come into landing the amphibian touches down soooo slow (34Mph) you usually don't need the brakes to slow her down. When using the brakes to correct bad runway alignment on landing ( or try and save a bad landing) it's best to have less brakes as the avid will swing hard around its vertical axis because the wheelbase is really narrow. Also consider that a hard breaking or full power run with brakes set will lift the tail up in the air and slam the nose onto the ground with good noise, the elevator is not enough to overcome the pitching moment (high thrust line..)

Hope that helps :)

Thanks for this piece of advice! I think we'll go with the original breaks indeed :)

Posted

If I understand the impact location, the hard landing actually crushed the 'step' ( le redan). That must have been a substantial hard landing

Yes, it surely must have been a terrible one! The gear failed and the hull took the damage probably

Posted

Today Laurent separated the hull from the fuselage.

The hull weighs a lot, we suspect there is more bondo than fiberglass.. ???

IMG-20210828-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210828-WA0007.jpg

Posted

Disassembly is now pretty complete, good news for the wings with little corrosion, except for the struts mounts, but nothing unfixable

IMG-20210902-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210902-WA0007.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Disassembly is now pretty complete, good news for the wings with little corrosion, except for the struts mounts, but nothing unfixable

IMG-20210902-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20210902-WA0007.jpg

Great to see the interior

structure like this thank you.