Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Unsinkable Carb Floats?

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I did a little research on these and apparently they weigh over the limit out of the box.  Are they more buoyant I don’t believe so and there have been issues reported with them.  No personal experience with them although. I just installed EFI on my 912 to get away from all of the Bing issues, of course these have their own issued but I’m liking controlling the AFR WITH THE touch of the mixture knob.

Posted

I have looked into using these but the price was a deal breaker.

They are definatly heavier which I don't think would be an issue if they are set up using The Rotax procedure of a syringe through the choke area. The float lever can be successfully tweaked to get the level right.

Peace of mind I guess, but I check mine within every 25 hrs and have had only a few replacement due to variances. If the drip trays arn't used,checking is a very simple procedure of weighing or checking against scribed witness marks inside the float bowl so well worth the effort.

Posted

I've looked at these on the Bing carb website.  They actually look just like the ones that came in my type 94 bing carb for my Jabiru engine.  It's been fine for well over 500 hrs and twenty years time.   I also have a never used early type 54 bing carb like what is used on the two strokes, and it has the same floats.  I've been tempted to get a set and try them, wish I had a BMW motorcycle to try them on.  If they leave  you high and dry then (or flooded) you can coast to the side of the road. :lmao:   Here is the bing site page that they are on.  All of $32.62 for a set.  Look on the left side of the page, fifth item down....  JImChuk   BMW Motorcycle CV Carb - BING AGENCY INTERNATIONALSOLE DISTRIBUTORFOR BING CARBURETORS AND THROTTLE BODIES IN THE US, CANADA,SOUTH AMERICA AND AUSTRALIA s988816940555738155_p125_i1_w293.png

Posted

My floats are the original floats that came with my engine when new in 1996.  They work perfectly.  If they aren't broke, don't fix them.

2 people like this

Posted

At the risk of a thread drift, the jabaru style floats look like a possible "cure" to another Rotax Bing problem of the guide pins coming loose. This is a scary problem in early models as the bottom of the pin hole arn't blind! The latest incident here saw a plane returning to its hanger trailing fuel, a bit of a close go!