New early Model C project

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

My name is Jim and I’m new to the forum…you’ve got quite a nice resource of information!

I’ve always been interested in aircraft and flying, but have never quite had the funds or time.  I’m in my 50s now so I thought I better make a course correction before time runs out.

I recently bought a nearly complete early Model C Avid Flyer with the standard STOL wings (0.063 spars, 9 ribs, 3/4" struts).  It came with a "panel" gas tank, but no wing tanks and the fuselage looks like it was welded from the factory for tail-wheel only.  There appears to have been some light surface rust in spots, but I can’t find any major pitting.  The fuselage and parts were painted recently, but not by me.

The plane is fairly complete, but missing some bellcranks (F-7s) / control rods, windshield / turtle-deck, wheels/brakes and small fasteners.   

This will be the first plane I have built, but I’ve rebuilt engines and transmissions before as well as retrofitted CNC equipment, and designed / fabricated custom parts.  I enjoy building, fixing and fabricating things and I have plenty of tools (hand/ power tools, welders and machine tools – manual and CNC).

This all may be “putting the cart before the horse” because I do not have my pilot’s license yet, but it’s in the works (I did pass my medical).

I was thinking the plane’s mission will be to allow me to enjoy logging hours of flight and doing short hops to local strips.  I live in Colorado Springs (about 6000’).

I would like to build it to be as “new pilot friendly” as possible.  To that end, I’m thinking the plan is to keep it light & simple and work on basic flying skills.  Once I’ve accrued enough hours, I figure I can take it all apart again and maybe give it a stretch, add wing tanks and do other mods.

Attached are a bunch of photos.  Some of the parts do not look “factory” and need attention (control tube, control rods and one strut mount).  I didn’t take photos of the spars or flaperons.  The spars are like new and the flaperons look the same.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

1-Fuselage.jpg

3-Fuselage.jpg

4-Fuselage.jpg

Posted

1-Cowling.jpg

1-doors and struts.jpg

1-gear and jury.jpg

1-wings.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

1-horiz.jpg

1-mounts.jpg

1-Ribs.jpg

1-rudder.jpg

1-TailWheel.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Sketchy looking bracket and control tube :wacko:

2-mounts.jpg

3-Control Tube.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I forgot to mention, I also have the Avid manual (I see it is posted on this site too!).

Posted

Welcome to the group.  Hope you enjoy putting it together.  I would say the one lift strut bracket is homemade.  The weld is not to impressive looking either.   They all came drilled from the factory I believe.  That is a pretty important part.  I would want to know for sure it's good.  I have one unattached one from a Kitfox 1, they may be identical, but I'm not positive on that.  I do have many of the control pieces and parts as well.  JImChuk

Posted

jjflyer,

Your plan is a great one, but I also suggest that you also buy an already built Avid so you have one to fly now. If you wait to build your C model, you will miss a few great years of flying. Even a complete one without an engine will get you in the air in just a few months.

In any case, welcome aboard and good luck!

Posted

Hello,

I have a spare set of F7 control rods that were removed from my Avid and replaced with the newer version.  I also have a set of wheels and brakes that came off a 2009 CTLS LSA. 6” will fit standard 6 x6.00.  

I revived a Model C SN573 with a Subaru EA81 engine.  I normally post but working on my plane and flying to Certify as a Sport pilot. All I have left is the check ride. That maybe the direction for obtaining a pilots certificate without doing the private.  I lost my medical 20 years ago, but I have always had a drivers license. The FAA has granted me the privilege to fly under that Regulation.  It was just like the private, but no night time work. 

Where are you located? 

Doug

00441BCB-FAAC-47C1-922B-C458F419192E.jpeg

Posted

Hello, Have you started this project?