Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox crash on utube

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Yep, looks like the same one.  Bummer.  Screw up for a short time, pay for it for a long time.  JImChuk

Posted

Not cool but glad he is alive.

Had to be showing off because every time I even get close to a power on stall I think to myself how can somebody get to this angle and not realize it.

1 person likes this

Posted

I agree TJay,  he had a 912 in the plane.  I know that with a power on stall, my kitfox feels like it's pointing straight up.  No way that he didn't realize how steep he was climbing.  And from the sound, it seems like he reduced power when it broke, and the elevator is all the way up on the way down.  JImChuk

Posted

OMG! I thought for sure that was fatal watching that video. So glad it wasn't. Looks like he had the stick in his gut for the whole ride!

Posted

this perhaps could be useful to someone.....6060cf2b79797_colibr.thumb.jpg.5ce2d2645

Posted

We all like to think we wouldn't keep pulling the stick after a stall, but there are too many accidents where it is obvious that happened for me to be so certain.  In all my training, and ongoing practice, I've always pushed the stick/yoke forward immediately as the stall broke, but that's what I'm expecting and I'm ready for it.  I hope I'll do as well if I ever encounter an unexpected stall, but the startle/panic factor can't be underestimated.  The most extreme example is the Air France Airbus that was stalled fro 30,000+ feet into the ocean by a high time right seater.

Mark

Posted

The FAA departure stall maneuver is designed to help train us in this scenario, to recognize the signs, fix the problem and fly the aircraft out of the danger area. The FAA learned the hard way, after dozens of stall accidents, that the "normal" way to use the controls ("stick back, houses smaller....") is simply wrong.

I have bought a copy of "Stick and Rudder" for each of my students back in the day, the author really describes this all so well.

Stick-and-Rudder-An-Explanation-of-the-Art-of-Flying-1st-Edition

Posted

Very good book for sure.  I've given copies to several friends and encouraged others to read it.  Just ran across another Kitfox getting bent up.  JImChuk

Kitfox crash at kplu airport - YouTube

Posted

Very good book for sure.  I've given copies to several friends and encouraged others to read it.  Just ran across another Kitfox getting bent up.  JImChuk

Kitfox crash at kplu airport - YouTube

I suspect that the airplane was a Just SuperSTOL. http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/03/loss-of-control-in-flight-just-ja30.html

I wonder if leaving the flaps up and landing faster would have helped.  Comments welcome.

Posted

One observation from that crash in the first video is how tough the airframe is. The cockpit area has largely the same dimensions, because the steel frame work is quite strong.