Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lexan for widscreen and doors

11 posts in this topic

Posted

What thickness are you using for the windscreen and doors? I would like to replace mine. Has anyone tried to form skylights for additional head room?

Posted (edited)

For sure .060" on the doors, I've run that on the windshield as well but at full throttle it will just start to want to buckle in against the V tubes.  That was on my Avid, I think I put the same .060" thick on the Kitfox windshield, but with the smooth cowl, and the way I built, it angels further forward, and probably gets a more streamlined angel to the wind.  I've been to 120 with it, and didn't notice it buckling in.  There is a website I've found and posted several times that makes custom skylights, for on a house, but I think they could be made to work on the plane as well.   Maybe they would be more flexable on size as well if you contact them.  but something like 18" X 32" may work.   JImChuk

PS   CORRECTION.  I looked at the Kitfox today, and I did use the .090" thick lexan for the windshield....Hope no one ordered any thinner stuff on my information.  .060" should be good to 100 MPH though

Replacement Skylights, Square, Rectangular & Round. (eztopsworldwide.com)

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

For sure .060" on the doors, I've run that on the windshield as well but at full throttle it will just start to want to buckle in against the V tubes.  That was on my Avid, I think I put the same .060" thick on the Kitfox windshield, but with the smooth cowl, and the way I built, it angels further forward, and probably gets a more streamlined angel to the wind.  I've been to 120 with it, and didn't notice it buckling in.  There is a website I've found and posted several times that makes custom skylights, for on a house, but I think they could be made to work on the plane as well.   Maybe they would be more flexable on size as well if you contact them.  but something like 18" X 32" may work.   JImChuk

The custom made for the pilots door - bubbled out like some helos have is thought.  Have you priced any dimensions w/eztops Jim?

Posted (edited)

Looks like a the 16 x 27 1/2 are about $53.  That might be big enough with the over hang.  Could call them and try to get more exact measurments.  If they could do it in lexan, and keep the top more flat at 3" gain in height, that might be nice.  JImChuk

Sorry, I didn't read your post well enough Paul.  I was thinking for the sky light and answered accordingly.    Also, the door is not square or a rectangle, and I think that might be all they make.  

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted (edited)

I use 080 on all of my KF windows. I buy full 4’x8’ sheets and cut what i need forms around windshield easy just take ur time a b patient am u dont need heat to help just have ur shop nice a WARM and make sure the lexan has climated to shop temp. 
060 is to thin i say starts to buckle at higher speeds, and when it pops in first time will make u shit ur pants and have a heart attach at same time. 

Edited by Buckchop
2 people like this

Posted

I used grey .060 lexan for everything from Wicks Aircraft I think it looks nice.

small fox 100.jpg

Posted

Jim what engine are you running to get 120 mph.? Neil

Posted (edited)

That was in my Kitfox 4 with the 912 engine.  Was turning 5800 (redline)  for rpm.  JImChuk

CORRECTION... I checked today, and the Kitfox lexan windshield is .090" thick.  It can handle the 120 MPH with no apparent issues.  .060" should be good up to 100 MPH at most.

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Has anyone tried the formed windshield from the KF IV on an avid IV? Same question for bubble doors

Posted

You have to consider not only air loads, but also the possibility of a bird strike.  I would think .090 lexan would be minimum thickness for a windshield.

Posted (edited)

Dont think ive heard of .090 lexan/polycarbonate.  
I used some .060on my first KF#0021 rebuild and first time i flew it at about 60-65mph in a downward slip the windsheild buckled in made a big pop and i nearly shit my pants!! 
So i went to .080 and never have that problem again.  

Edited by Buckchop
1 person likes this