Shipping engines

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey everyone,

I am going to be cleaning out my barn and have about 5-6 engines I am considering selling. 
So I am just wondering what services you’re familiar with and what you had to do? 

I've googled this a bit but was left a bit more confused than before.

thanks 

Posted

Depends on what engines you are shipping I suppose.  I've built a crate to ship two stroke rotax engines.  For heavier engines you could put them on a pallet.  Last time I checked, minimum charge for truck freight was about $225.  If you try to go through Fedex truck freight they will quote you way more then that though.  I just got a quote for a crate 3' x3' x3' weighing 250 lbs from Mn to Or and the price was $275.  That was from a business with fork lift on each end.  That's the cheapest rate.  I shipped an engine from Mn to Wa. a few months ago, with UPS, and it cost 230, with 4500 worth of insurance on it.  Think they charged about 50 for the insurance.   Here is a crate I built a few years ago for a friend's engine.  JImChuk

Photo0697.jpg

Photo0701.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Depends on what engines you are shipping I suppose.  I've built a crate to ship two stroke rotax engines.  For heavier engines you could put them on a pallet.  Last time I checked, minimum charge for truck freight was about $225.  If you try to go through Fedex truck freight they will quote you way more then that though.  I just got a quote for a crate 3' x3' x3' weighing 250 lbs from Mn to Or and the price was $275.  That was from a business with fork lift on each end.  That's the cheapest rate.  I shipped an engine from Mn to Wa. a few months ago, with UPS, and it cost 230, with 4500 worth of insurance on it.  Think they charged about 50 for the insurance.   Here is a crate I built a few years ago for a friend's engine.  JImChuk

Photo0697.jpg

Photo0701.jpg

thank you Jimchuk that’s a huge help. I wasn’t going to bother looking into UPS or fedex but I will now. Their websites say nothing more than 150lbs but I’m guessing that’s for regular post. I’ll look into their freight services. 

The engines all vary in weight. 
Rotax 340

Rotax 377

Kawasaki 440

BMW RT1150 

a Subaru EA81 (possibly x2) 

Again thanks for your help.

Posted

The two stroke ones would weigh less then 100 lbs I'm guessing.  Other ones maybe need to go by truck freight.  If you have a friend who works where there is a fork lift, and they will load it on the truck, that's the cheapest way, or else bringing it and leaving it on the dock at their depot.  Tell me about the two stroke engines you have.  A friend of mine may be interested.  JImChuk

Posted

Fastenal, I ship the whole Avid fuselage , Grayhound

Posted

I'm curious about the BMW.

1 person likes this

Posted

The two stroke ones would weigh less then 100 lbs I'm guessing.  Other ones maybe need to go by truck freight.  If you have a friend who works where there is a fork lift, and they will load it on the truck, that's the cheapest way, or else bringing it and leaving it on the dock at their depot.  Tell me about the two stroke engines you have.  A friend of mine may be interested.  JImChuk

thanks very much again JImChuk. Since you mentioned leaving at their depot I now recall my Corvair engine being shipped through a  freight service and the previous owner and his son loading it by hand to save some $$. Also the two strokes I don’t see being an issue using regular ground. It’s more for the others. 

the two strokes aren’t much to write home about, they’re all pulled from sleds of unknown condition. The Kawasaki 440 is from a 90’s sled. The 377 “380” and the the 340 are from 80’s sleds. They’re complete with carbs exhaust and electrical. Just no redrives, and obviously need completely redone. My previous plan was to rebuild them converting them for aviation use for a future single seat UL. 

Posted

I'm curious about the BMW.

The BMW is a 2006 1150cc twin cylinder dual spark plus engine that I’ve completely rebuilt from the case out. It’s what I’ve spent most of my attention on replacing all rod and crank bearings. The crank itself checked, low mileage pistons but new rings and circlips, heads redone with valve job, cylinders checked and resurfaced. Every bolt is new, all new gaskets, oil pump guides chain. Just a lot of stuff lol. When I list it, it’ll be listed with exhaust header, ECU Computer, throttle bodies, alternator, starter, fuse box from bike, partial wiring harness that’s almost complete for aircraft

I think I still have an extra set of heads, cylinders, pistons, and a crank with rods. I bought multiples of everything to have the machine shop identify the best of each to use. 

these are old photos, it’s currently in a bin on a shelf behind a boat. 

C0BEB079-CF57-4496-8C14-C201315CB608.jpeg

2111067C-5033-4F8B-AFA9-F32860D4F6BD.jpeg

Posted

Simplicity is essential. Rotax Rick says to use a big plastic tub, lots of pillows, and ratchet tie-downs. I did this to send my 582, and he used it to send back the 670, and it was perfect. He sends and receives dozens of engines this way. I used Fedex Ground, cost about $250 each way across the country (Utah to Florida), with declared value of $5000

Zero bother, too. Here is Rick's discussion:

https://rotaxrick.wordpress.com/shipping/

Posted

I just had a 912 shipped from AZ to IL. $220 using Old Dominion freight Shipping. Just used a small pallet and built wood sides and top for it.