Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Laying Tracks

6 posts in this topic

Posted

We had  beautiful Sunday last weekend so I got out to play in the snow and have some fun laying tracks in places the snow machines hadn't got to yet; well as you can see from one of the pictures I barely had laid tracks when a snow machine cut my tracks, lol.  The Iditarod start was Sunday also, so i chased them up the Yehntna River for a ways.  As you can see, there is some serious snow in that area.  My tail sunk up to the HS, and that is with the tail ski on.  Makes you wonder if it is going to come out on it's own or if I will be breaking the snow shoes out to pack out a runway.  No problem, it came right out on it's own.  You gotta love those 18" wide skis!

DSCN4349-1.jpg

DSCN4351-1.jpg

DSCN4355-1.jpg

DSCN4356-1.jpg

DSCN4363-1.jpg

DSCN4364-1.jpg

DSCN4365-1.jpg

DSCN4359-1.jpg

DSCN4370-1.jpg

DSCN4372-1.jpg

DSCN4374-1.jpg

7 people like this

Posted

You sure do take some nice pictures Randy.  And nice flying spots as well.  JImChuk

Posted

In those skiplane tracks in the snow I find there is something deeply connecting to the nature of flight and to this special thing that only a few of us are blessed to experience.

I cannot fully describe it, but it is something about the visual nature of the tracks as they first begin at touchdown - and then again as they almost magically disappear again upon liftoff...

They are evidence of something rare and special that graced a stretch of snow.

I too almost always hop out on the ground to look over my tracks, and also circle above and look down upon them before I leave the area.

I find it, for some deep indescribable reason... entrancing. 

20210112_155709.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Beautiful surroundings you live in, great pics as usual

Posted

That is so true; being able to fly in this country is a true blessing.

Something about tracks, ha,ha,I thought it was just me, but it is so fun.  I almost always check mine on snow or sand/gravel when I can, just to see whether I landed and got off like I thought I did.  Then I can mentally compare them to other tracks I see and have an idea if I can get into and out of someplace others have been or if they are totally out of my league. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Those are really awesome pictures. Looks like lots of fun.