Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hauling a 912 rotax in Kitfox 4

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Guess the title tells it, has anyone hauled a 912 rotax engine in a Kitfox 4?  I know weight isn't the problem.  Engine is about 18" tall, 21" long, and 24" wide.  Thinking about making a box that is that big and trying to see how it will fit.  JImChuk

Posted

Could you hang it on the underside of the airplane?

Posted

That may be kind of tough....  Anything is possible, but maybe not practical.  It's just the bare engine, probably 125 lbs or so.  Maybe stuck in about half of a crate.  I'll look into it more tomorrow.  JImChuk

Posted

Are you willing to pull the cylinders and put the casewith just rods sticking out in the passenger seat? Then the cylinders and pistons can go in a box in the baggage compartment.

Posted

Kind of hate to dismantle it, if it fits at all, I suppose it maybe would be with cylinders pointing down.  Then the engine is only about 18" wide sitting in the seat.  It's a 5 hr drive in the car, probably 2 1/2 hrs in the plane each way.  Kind of why I'm thinking about it.  JImChuk

Posted

well if it don't fit how bout the rear seat of the champ? Or do you have a chief?

Posted

It's a Chief...  Side by side seating.   And actually not as wide as the Kitfox after I widened it.  And not as much exposed tubing to tie onto to keep things in place.   Thanks for the suggestions though.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

I did some looking today, and I think I will be taking the car to get the engine.  It could fit in the plane, but it would get over to my side of the seat by just a little I think.  That would be with the cylinders sitting on the seat, prop flange facing forward.  The plane is only 32" wide at the tubing at the back bottom of the doors.  JImChuk