Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oil cooler or not?

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi guys. Working on my Kitfox 4 project with the 80 hp 912 UL and got to thinking. The airplane has an oil cooler installed, but looking at the Kitfox install manual, it has you just run 2 hoses. One from the tank pickup to the pump, and one from the bottom of the engine to the tank inlet. No oil cooler. I have also read about having to put on oil thermostats, tape over the cooler in winter, etc. I have also read about one at least that didn't have an oil cooler on a 912  UL.  If the temps don't climb too high without an oil cooler in the summertime, I would rather not even put it on for simplicity, and not having to mess with anything for winter flying. Just wondering about those that have experience with running a 912 without an oil cooler. How do the oil temps behave in summer temps. does it stay below the 230 top end for the normal range?

Thanks,

Posted

I'd put the oil cooler on. I guess if you live where it never gets above 80 and you never fly where it gets hot, you might be alright. However your running it in a cowled environment, not out in the open so I wouldn't take a chance. Tape in the winter is what I do. It's not bad at all. There's nothing like having oil temps rise past comfortable on a hot climb out to get over a big hill or mountain and having to throttle back for fear it will get way too hot. Running the thermostat is a plumbing nightmare that makes it hard to inspect motor mount bolts etc. I hate the things even though they function well. if you are creative, rather than apply tape (which like I said is super easy) you can make a hinged flap on the back of the radiator that can be controlled from the cockpit. I did that and really liked it, but I had a troublesome piggybacked water and oil radiator combo that constantly developed leaks from vibration. I moved the cooler off the engine and all the problems went away. I still want to put a controllable flap back on the oil cooler but haven't got around to it yet, and honestly I may never because tape is so easy.

Posted

You will need the oil cooler for sure.