Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brakes For Tundra Tires

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What brakes are you using with the big tires? Dual puck maybe? What brand? 

Edited by aschlem

Posted

Some guys go to dual puck brakes, also cylinder intensifiers.  Mostly Matco for brand.  Another thing is to improve the leverage with the toe brakes to increase the pressure.  JImChuk

Posted (edited)

I have 2-piston Grove calipers and standard Cleveland master cylinders on my plane that work acceptably well with my 26" Airstreaks.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

On the 582 powered Kitfox 4 I sold last year, I had single puck Matco brakes with 1/2" bore Matco master cylinders. I ran the Nanco 21" tires. The brakes would not hold for a full throttle run-up, but almost. I never felt they were lacking on landing though. On my rebuild I am using the same master cylinders but putting on 2 calipers per wheel.

Posted

The leverage on the Kitfox is better then the Avid though... With the Kitfox, the top of the master cylinder is closer to the toe brake pivot, and you can develop more pressure in the brake lines.  JImChuk

Posted

FYI, cylinder intensifiers simply reduce the bore of the newer matco master cylinder from 5/8" to 1/2". If the bore on the master cylinders you have are already 1/2" then you don't need the intensifiers, nor will they work

Posted

great stuff, i think i read a post about modifying the pedals for comfort and leverage. If anyone remembers where it was or anything similar please toss a link up here. Can the Matco masters be modified to 1/2''?

Posted

If you have older matco masters they probably already are 1/2". Newer matco masters can have the intensifiers installed. What part number are yours?

Posted

MC1 on the left and MC3 on the passenger side 

Posted

I tried the 'intensifiers' on my bone stock Model C, I couldn't tell any difference.  I rebuilt the pedals, which required changing the master cylinders to the shortest ones Matco has, and they work great now.  The geometry in the Matco documentation is spot on, if you can get the 2.5 to 1 ratio, the stock brakes work just fine (with regular tires that is)

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

MC-1 and MC-3 are already 1/2" bore. 

Posted

Something to read for what can be accomplished with your stock calipers and 21 inch tires.

Posted

I run 30" Airstreaks on my Avid+.  If you are going to run tires larger than 26" and are going to stay with the inside caliper disc setup, this is what I would recommend: Do all the pedal geometry tips stated above and you need to use the MATCO MC1 or MC3 master cylinders with remote reservoir so you can get the piston as close to the rudder pedals as needed.  Then use the WHLB600XLT brake assemblies on the wheels with WHLBPA1.505T brake plates that modify them to fit the .25" thick (internal) brake discs (MATCO will build them with this setup for no additional charge).  These are triple puck brakes with three 1.5" pucks made for a lot heavier airplanes than ours so they have a lot more brake power.  They work well.

1 person likes this

Posted

On my model 1, im useing the matco MC5, with cleveland dual puck calipers, but im also running 6” wheels, 1.5” axels, and the desser 8.50x6 smooth, have a set of ABW 26” im kickin around the idea of puttin them on.  I can drag the tires thro the dirt locked up at full rpm if want and make the tail stay on the ground if wanted. Makes for good short power takeoff mayb? Far as stoppin u have to b little light on the toe brakes if not use to the plane, but all my babies have the cleveland dual pucks. Hahahaaaa

Posted

The geometry on the Kitfox 1 brake pedals is far better then the Avid, so brake line pressure is higher.  Of course that then makes for better holding/stopping power.  JImChuk

Posted

Not to mention i did move the mount tab on the toe brake lever to a better spot for better geometry like the group has suggested.  But i think heel brakes b nice in a KF, i just hate toe brakes!!!! 

Posted

Bucky,  can you post up a picture or what you did on your toe brake pedals?  Thanks,  JimChuk

Posted

Dont have any pic of movin the tab on toe brakes Jim, i just cut it off wnd moved it up one width of the tab if that makes sence. Also with the matco m5 cyl. Mostly did that to get the face of the toe brake even or little behind the face of the rudder pedal 

1 person likes this